Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zip disk format issue

• Please log in to reply

jj patyrapson

jj patyrapson

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello there!

I have a external zp drive and xp pro.
I have a akai mpc2000xl (midi production centre) that has a zip drive so you can load samples on to it.
It works fine transfering samples to and from the mpc if the disks are formated by the pc as fat but if you format with the mpc the pc will not open the disk or format it. Now i forgot that and formated them in the mpc.
Dumb i know.
Is there any way to format these disks back to fat on xp?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if this link will be of help: To FAT or to FAT?

I am not that familiar with the unit, but I would think your PC should be able to reformat the storage device if it is recognized by the PC just the same as it would reformat a diskette in the A-Drive. Try right-clicking on the drive letter and see if the "Format" selection comes up in the menu.

Nice image and specs of your unit here: MPC2000xl

Edited by Major Payne, 25 May 2006 - 11:55 PM.

jj patyrapson

jj patyrapson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Major!

When i right click on zip drive and hit format the zip formating box comes up, I select fat and have tried both format and quick format.
A poop up box tells me:
Windows was unable to complete the format

jj patyrapson

jj patyrapson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Major?
Anyone?......

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. I am at a lost to explain right now. maybe Keith or one of the other guys might be able to figure it out. The only other thing I can think of is to use the old bulk tape eraser. Not sure that would work, but if it did, I would think Windows should then be able to at least quick format it.

Ron

jj patyrapson

jj patyrapson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok thanks for the input

Peace