Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE-E61 media test Failure

• Please log in to reply

big_bad_jon

big_bad_jon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
;) I was upgradeing my computer with a stick of 256mb ram then when i turned on my computer it got up to the windows xp loading screen it wouldn't go away so i resarted my computer and the i got the dreaded PXE-E61 media test Failure. so i thought mabey it wasn't excepting the stick of ram i put in so i took it out and put the old one back in and it did the same thing. So i went searching on the internet to find out what was wrong. I tryed reparing it with the windows xp disk and all it does is freeze when it says "hit any key to boot from cd". I disabled network boot and still it didn't work. No matter what tryed it allways went to the black screen. :tazz: I had an old hard drive kicking around so i erased it and put it in my new one because mabey my hardrive died on me, but when i put the old one in there it did the same thing, it won't even let me format it. I'm starting to think that there something wrong with my mother board. also for some reason the fan in the power suply will start going very fast and then slowdown all the time. please help me i have run out of options what else is there for me to do?

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
Check all you cables make sure the are plug in all the way cd rom floppy hard drive with the thing on the fan in power supply I have never hear or seen that maybe its going bad.
:tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Tazz1964 is right I never seen a psu do that so I would try a different one first.

Then try the ram in a different slot.

Then test the ram with memtest86

Rick