Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Links dont seem to work

• Please log in to reply

arfur

arfur

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help with this problem

When I recieve emails or use a programme such as Paltalk, and I get a link for me to open or want to send a file in Paltalk, whenever I double click on the link or try to send a file on Paltalk nothing happens and the link does not open nor can I send a file

I am running Zone Alarm Pro
AVG Pro
Spycatcher

Any ideas and advice will be greatly appreciated

Bob

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb/823301/en-us

BW43

BW43

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Try here

http://support.micro...kb/823301/en-us

I have followed the instructions in KB 823301 and still have the same problem. Every one of the run commands succeeded. I have also made sure IE6 is my default browser. I am at wit's end with this problem. I have to copy and paste the shortcuts in order for a browser page to open. Anyone have any more ideas? Thanks.

IE6
OE6
WinXP Home

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Excuse butt in. :whistling: Do you have Window's firewall off if using ZA, too? I had this problem with Zone Alarm once because of settings. I never used the Pro version, but you just might check and see if it there is one where you can change permissions for hyperlinks. Just a thought.

Ron

BW43

BW43

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Excuse butt in. :whistling: Do you have Window's firewall off if using ZA, too? I had this problem with Zone Alarm once because of settings. I never used the Pro version, but you just might check and see if it there is one where you can change permissions for hyperlinks. Just a thought.

Ron

Thanks for the butt in! LOL

BW43

BW43

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry, hit enter too quick. I have all firewalls (WinXP and Computer Associates EZ Firewall) OFF! Still have the problem. Still searching for that help!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Usually what Keith advises to do, hits the problem right on the mark. Try turning off the pop-up and ad blocks, if on, in ZA and turn the pop-up blocker in IE off (On the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker. Unclick Turn on Pop-up Blocker). If it is another app like PalTalk, it may be using the security setting as set by IE. I really don't know at this point. I had problems with a .Net setting in Registry one time and had to edit it. Hopefully Keith will come up with another good check if these don't work. :whistling:

Ron

BW43

BW43

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again. You are telling me all the obvious stuff, but I do appreciate your willingness to help. I have turned off all pop-up blockers and still have the problem. Incidentally, after I run these regsvr32 msjava.dll, Regsvr32 Shell32.dll, Regsvr32 Browseui.dll, Regsvr32 Mshtml.dll, Regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll, and regsvr32 urlmon.dll, the problem does resolve, but only for a very brief time. I have also seen and used the registry edits which are supposed to fix this problem that have been posted in other forums. Nothing is working except for the very short term. HELP!!!