Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee 2006 removal

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can right click the folders in My Documents then click delete, reboot, run tune up disc clean up, registry clean up, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter to put the dot in normal start up, click apply and reboot

AVG installing and updating is a good sign

Advertisements

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I deleted both McAfee folders from My Docs and ran the cleanups. After rebooting, everything seems fine. Is there anything else I need to do for this McAfee thing or do you think that is pretty much it? Also, is there any other program that I should be using to accompany the Zone Alarm and AVG in terms of virus protection and hackers?

MCG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for McAfee

You can bookmark any of the online scans so you can cross check AVG once a week or as often as you like to

Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

You can get 1, 6, 7 and 8 from here

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Excellent! I have all those programs actually (adaware spybot etc.) and I update them regularly. When I searched for McAfee, it found some extra folders and time schedules for scanning but I went ahead and deleted those and did another search and found nothing the second time through. It looks like McAfee is cleared from my computer now, so I thank you for taking the time to assist me in removing it. This is the second time I've used GTG and have been impressed both times! Thanks Keith and I have already bookmarked this page for future reference. I realize you guys have lives too and can't thank you enough for taking the time out in helping those of us unfortunate enough to encounter these little problems(or major in some cases) that occur in the computer world.

Take care,
Kevin (MCG)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You