Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem setting up a Workgroup between 2 home computers

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the ping...i did mean for you to ping the 0.2 and 0.3...sorry i've got too many numbers memorized.. try the ping with the o.2 and 0.3 addresses...

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

I've pinged on computer 1 with 192.168.0.3 and on computer 2 with 192.168.0.2 and got "request timed out" 4 times on each

Thanks
Chris

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a firewall on either computer? if you have service pack 2 for xp..then that answer is yes...turn that (and any other) firewall off (for testing...we'll turn it back on later...) and try the ping again

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

I am running SP2 on both PCs

I turned off Zone alarm on both PCs and pinged the other and got 4 replies from each

Network connections still show 'connected' but cant see each other in 'My network places'

Regards

Chris

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
run the network setup wizard again on both computers...rename the workgroup to something else

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

I ran the Wizard on the Host and was told there was a problem
Sudden thought - I had turned the Zone Alarm Firewalls back on (Paranoid as I've had problems with malware which G2G sorted for me) so I turned them off again and both Wizards appeared to run ok - the workgroup name has been changed

I set things up as Host connecting direct to the Internet and the Client connecting through the Host and enabled File and Printer sharing

They still cant see each other though !!

I pinged the Client all was ok(192.168.0.3) but if I pinged the Host 4 'Request timed out' (192.168.0.2)

Network connections on the Host now show:-

Dial up
BTopenworld broadband - Dial UP - Connected,Shared - DETAILS OF MY BROADBAND MODEM

Network Bridge
Local area connection 3 - Network bridge - Connected bridged - DETAILS OF THE ETHERNET CARD
Local area connection - Network bridge - Network cable unplugged - THIS IS MY BLUETOOTH DONGLE
Network bridge (Network bridge) - Network bridge - Connected - Mac bridge Miniport

Both Firewalls now show 'Loopback adapter' in the trusted zone - the Host shows 'Mac bridge miniport Packet scheduler miniport' (192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0) in the Internet zone and the Client shows its Ethernet card details in the Internet zone

If I ping 192.168.0.1 from the Client I get a reply

Should I now be making changes to the Firewall on both PCs ?

Regards and Thanks

I'M SORRY TO DO THIS TO YOU !!
IF IT CANT BE ACCOMPLISHED I'LL JUST HAVE TO GO BACK TO SWOPPING CABLES AND BURNING CDs TO MOVE FILES

Chris

I'll turn the Firewalls back on before I send this to you

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone Alarm only allows sharing in the trusted zone

If you have the set up file for Zone Alarm, have you tried running it and choosing clean install, it will retain the product key

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

I dont have the set up file as Zone alarm is part of the 'Protection' I pay for from my ISP and its a download and install from the web - no file is saved

Does this apply to both Host and Client PCs

Thanks

Chris

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

Just to ask should 'File and printer sharing for microsoft networks' be enabled on the Broadband connection ?
Right click the connection (in Network connections) > properties > networking

Chris

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That would help

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi

I've done that

I can ping the Host on 192.168.0.1 and the Client on 192.168.0.3 with the Firewall turned off but they cant see each other
I can see the Host from the Host in 'My network places' but thats all

Regards

Chris

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have all 4 boxes ticked in properties networking, you could run the network set up wizard again with ZA off, also, you should be able to download ZA and choose clean install, usually a ZA set up file gives a choice between upgrade and clean install, it doesn't bother about it already being installed, then when it asks about the connection, choose trusted

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I've edited settings in both firewalls so I can now ping both PCs with the Firewall enabled but they still cant see each other
I cant do a clean install as Zone alarm downloads from BT Broadband and then installs without any intervention from me No setup file can be saved disk

Looks like this may be a 'lost cause'

Chris

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have asked a Network Tech to look at this, dsenette is back in Monday and will also look at it then

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Chris,

Many firewalls decide to be overprotective, and do not allow your computer to be shown as "online" (on the Master Browser list), so that other computers can not see them in the Network Neighborhood. It would have been nice if we could have taken ZoneAlarm out of the equation at the start :whistling: But anywho --

On the Host computer, please goto Start --> Run --> type \\192.168.0.3 -- Press enter.. You should either connect to the Client, or recieve an error (give it a minute or two; there is often a delay). An even better idea would be to type in a full path to a file on the Client computer that you have shared.. So, share a file and then type in the full path name to it; ie: \\192.168.0.3\D\Shared_Folder\myFile -- eg: \\192.168.0.3\D\Music\someSong.mp3 -- what happens here?

Also on the Host computer, please goto Start --> Run --> type \\net view COMPUTER_NAME where COMPUTER_NAME is the name of the Client computer.. Please post any errors that appear.

If you could not connect to the Client using either of these methods, on both computers please goto Start --> Run --> type regedit and press OK --> Now, navigate to the following Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
--> With the key Lsa selected/highlighted, in the right-pane, look for the value restrictanonymous (there is a value restictanonymoussam directly below; ensure that you do not select this value.) --> right click this value, select Modify and change the decimal value to 0 (zero) --> Close regedit and reboot the computer. After doing this on both computers, attempt to connect again; are you able to?