Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Tx data to my new laptop

• Please log in to reply

markyvichkin

markyvichkin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can I link my old PC to my new laptop with a USB cable to tx files?

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Basically - no, not directly. If you are running XP on both machines and they both have network cards you could set up an ad-hoc network using a crossover cable.

(Network card - you know you have one if you use broadband. The input socket might be similar to a telephone jack connection but bigger (the comparison to phone depends which country you're in). Basically, where you plug a LAN cable in.)

You can't use a normal LAN (I think the correct term is ethernet cable) cable to connect 2 computers directly, you need the special crossover cable which is wired the opposite way at the other enc - hence the name.

Another way to go is to network both computers as a LAN (Local Area Network) via a router - if you have/use one. Again this is easiest if both machines are running XP, and presumes you have at least two input ports on your router.

If you want to use USB - you will need to get an external Hard Drive case with its own power supply and remove the HD from the old computer and mount it in the case. Then you should be able to hook it up to your new computer.

It would help if you post back which Operating Systems you are using (particularly the old machine).