Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop wireless - disconnecting & saying not connected when it is&

• Please log in to reply

gwc1023

gwc1023

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I set up wireless internet for a friend yesterday (DSL lite with router attached to desktop downstairs, new Compaq laptop). It seemed to set up fine, but now we're running into weird problems with the connection on the laptop. The router is a Trendnet 54Mbps Wireless-G Router (TEW-432BRP).

On initial startup, the wireless connects fine - strong signal, icon in systray shows connected. But a few minutes later, internet browsing is interrupted by a message that windows can't connect to the wireless network we've set up. At this point we can't connect to the web. Repair the connection and it seems to hang at 'connecting to network' but we are able to use the web. At this point when you go to 'view all available wireless networks' our network is at the top of the list, with a strong signal, and the words right beside the signal bars says 'not connected.' But in the paragraph right there, it says 'You are currently connected to this network. Click Disconnect below to disconnect.' ??????? How can it say not connected in one place and connected in another place in the same window? Also at this point the icon in the systray shows not connected although we clearly are since we're browsing with no problems.

We keep losing the connection every few minutes, and each time does the same thing as above. We lose the connection, Repair, and then it works, although it still shows as not connected.

Is this something I've set up wrong (probably) - I know enough to get most things started, but am not by any means an expert. I'm not sure what other information you would need to possibly diagnose, I'll hang around here to make sure I get back to you on any questions. Thanks so much!! I feel bad that I've set this up for a friend and it's not working right.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I feel bad that I've set this up for a friend and it's not working right.

Don't be.. Blame the technology :whistling: You seem to have done everything correctly.

Please goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Wireless Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Authentication tab --> Disable / uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. Restart your computer and then see if you still get disconnected.

Along with this, restart the laptop, and once it has established a connection to the Network, goto Start --> Run --> type services.msc and press OK --> Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration (it'll be at the bottom), right-click and select Properties --> Click Stop -- wait for the service to stop, and then click OK. Once the service is stopped, continue browsing.. Do you experience the disconnect(s) still?