Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Leak ?

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I have had Windows XP for about 4 months now and one problem i just got recently is, what i think, a memory leak. When i start windows programs for instance FireFox.exe, Explorer.exe, or any other program that needs to be used it will stay there under proccess. In other words not properly shutting down. The program will still be "running" and robbing me of all my memory at the time.

It is Windows XP SP2 and i haven't done any tweaking to it. I haven't touched paging file size or anything.

What could be causing this problem ? I went to microsoft support to look at what they had to offer. I think its a memory leak although i can't be sure of that because i only know so much about computers and have never experinced a leak .... yet ..... I think.

I have googled the problem and found out a few things about it. I have googled and looked it up on microsoft.support.com and still nothing that i could find.

Does microsoft have a fix for this ? Has anyone here had the problem I'm having ?

I highly doubt this is a virus, or any kind of malware. I think this is a OS system probelm, or Windows memory manager problem ...

Advertisements

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
Windows XP has no memory leaks that I know of (expect for this one: Click Here ) Windows ME was terrible at handling memory and Microsoft admits to its leaks and resource problems. XP has a lot of services that run in the backround. Some of these can be disabled. Visit http://www.processlibrary.com/ XP handles resources very well. Back to your problem, iexplore.exe always will run in the proccess manger. As for FireFox.exe... :whistling: When I shut down firefox brower on my machine it's not running in my proccess manger...

Edited by Kenny94, 26 May 2006 - 12:55 PM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
It sounds liek i didn't clarify my problem very well ... Let me refraise what i said in shorter terms.

When i will open a program for instance firefox.exe and then close it by clicking on the "X" It will go away from my desktop. Then i will open firefox again by clicking on the icon. From there i will look at how many proccess are running and i will then see two firefox.exe ... They don't go away they keep adding up. Windows XP will not shutdown the process. That is why I am asking ... Is this a memory leak ? If nto what is it ?!?!

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Well, explorer.exe is part of Windows, and always runs. It's what gives you your GUI, so ending that would mess windows up. For firefox, are you running version 1.5.0.3? Older versions had that problem, but I think they fixed it. If you don't have the most current version, go here for the most latest version.