Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't install old pc games on Windows xp

• Please log in to reply

georgefnewton

georgefnewton

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can not install Robert E Lee Civil War General or Civilization II on my Windows XP system It keeps giving me a 16 bit error message that the system will not read dos applications. I tried to download a patch, but I get the same message. Anybody know how to fix this. I reall like these games.

Edited by georgefnewton, 26 May 2006 - 12:03 PM.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
This read might be useful to you.

This is someone who has the same problem as you have. Don't know if it worked for him.

Edited by emery, 26 May 2006 - 12:21 PM.

georgefnewton

georgefnewton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

This read might be useful to you.

This is someone who has the same problem as you have. Don't know if it worked for him.

Thanks so much... I will give these a try, although I do not know how to do the compatibility thing becuase the system won't allow an icon to form on the desktop. I will keep trying.

Have a great weekend!

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
good luck. I hope it works.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you right click the icon in all programmes, click properties you will be able to change the compatibility setting there