Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Automatically loading Admin Account

• Please log in to reply

TimSolo

TimSolo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

This is probably a very simple problem to fix, but it's annoying all the same. I've just bought a new Hard drive and I've reinstalled windows - whenever it loads it automatically loads the administrator account, simply called "Administrator" rather than my "Tim" account. Last time I formatted my PC it did this on the first load until I had created another account, but it hasn't stopped and it's very tedious logging out every time I turn on my PC.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Tim

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
When you boot your computer, it directly goes to Admin account without giving you a list of users?

TimSolo

TimSolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yup, there's no welcome screen. it just goes straight to the "loading your preferences" screen. I tried passwording my other account to see if this would prompt it to go the welcome screen but it didn't work

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Go to control panel>user accounts. click ''change the way users log on and off'' (don't know if it's called exactly that). Then check the box which says: use the welcome screen.

TimSolo

TimSolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it was already checked - and ive tried that before - i think there's a way to solve it in safe mode, i'll have a go - thanks for your help

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
After doing your safe mode thing, please tell us what you did and if it worked or not. We'd like to know.

Edited by emery, 26 May 2006 - 02:19 PM.

TimSolo

TimSolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I remembered how to do it!
You don't need to be in safe mode

First you go to "run" and type in "control userpasswords2"

Then you check the box marked "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"

Then just click apply and it should work when you restart.

Boom.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
thanks for posting back.

good for you for solving the problem yourself.