Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitors

• Please log in to reply

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am building a computer and I am having the hardest time finding a monitor (I have all the other bits already).

My monitor problem is that I want to have a 17"-19" LCD monitor that is 1600x1200 (just like my current laptop), but none seem to be around. I have found a few CRTs that will do it, but the "size" of a 17" CRT != 17" LCD. That and CRTs are not easy to pack up when I move around. I was wondering why there do not seem to be any LCD laptops of this size range and resolution? Or if there are, and I'm just not looking in the right places?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Laptops are hard to buy monitors for, do you mean a regular one, LCDs you can get in 1600x1200 they arent as common though because thats a 4:3 aspect ratio, LCDS use a 5:3 hence the common resolution of 1280x1024 then they tend to go straight to 16:9 which kicks up odd numbers, most common ar the HD ones at 720p or the 1920 by 1080 standard of 1080p or i these are actually easier to get than 1600x1200 monitors which are hard to find as there wasnt a huge market for them because of there higher price and most users only need 1280x1024. But they are out there, easier though to find an LCD it 1080 its a higher res than your looking for but easier and because there is more in production price shouldnt be to bad, maybe not even a monitor but a small LCD TV is what you might need to look for if you really need the higer res and are on a budget. At least in that size range, if you go up to 20" you find much more choice at 1600x1200 as its a res that fits those monitors more appropriately and is easier to produce for the larger panels.

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the info!

Actually I'm looking for a monitor for the computer I'm building that will replace the laptop. Specs below for the curious:

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Mobo:
NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

Video Card:
[url="http://"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121214"]Geforce 6200TC[/url]

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar 250GB