Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[SOLVED] Display lines

• Please log in to reply

Richard John

Richard John

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
After getting XP install, I've been having a few problems.

My sound was crackly and stuttering. My motherboard has a VIA chipset, so a friend reccomended I install the "VIA latency patch". I installed this fine, and it fixed my sound problems, but it caused another problem!

My display now has lines that flicker across it (when something changes on the screen mainly, they don't appear if nothing on the screen changes). It's hard to describe, but they're kind of like the lines that go across on VHS videos.

Does anyone have any ideas what's causing this?

Any help appreictaed,
Richard John

Edited by Richard John, 27 May 2006 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

My2Cents

My2Cents

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
try instyalling latest video drivers

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just installed the latest drivers and the lines are still there :whistling:

It's an S3 ProSavage if that helps.

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It actually seems to happen when the CPU is working. For example, when I'n typing this message I'm not seeing any lines, but when I was importing folders in iTunes, there wer quite a few lines, and when I was watching a video on YouTube, the lines went crazy.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would check and make sure that you have the lastest version of DirectX installed on your computer. The lastest version is 9.0c, which you can download from Windows Update, just make sure you choose CUSTOM and NOT Express. Then check the SOFTWARE, OPTIONAL heading on the left side and you will see DirectX 9 listed.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- You can find out what version of DirectX you have installed on your computer by going to START-->RUN and typing dxdiag.

Edited by Fenor, 26 May 2006 - 08:35 PM.

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Nope, I'm afraid it was alread 9.0c installed.

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just did a quick test, I uninstalled the latency patch, and sure enough the lines disappeared, but my sound was crackly and choppy again.
I re-installed it, which fixed my sound, but the lines are back.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Let's try just getting the audio drivers for your computer.

Download install and run Everest Home Edition, which you can download using the link in my signature. Once you have it running, click on REPORT and the Report Wizard should run. When you come to the REPORT PROFILES page of the wizard, make sure you have radio button next to System Summary Only selected. Then click NEXT, you can leave HTML selected and click FINISH. The report will then be generated and a new window will appear. In this new window that appears, click SAVE TO FILE and save the report as REPORT.HTM somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Please ATTACH this file to your reply.

Fenor

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry that took me a while, and thanks again for your help.

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can find the driver's page for your motherboard HERE. Download the one for VIA AC97 PCI Sound Drivers.

Fenor

Advertisements

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Installed those drivers, and the lines persisted, so I uninstalled the patch (and kept those drivers), and the lines are gone but the sound is still bad!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try installing the 4in1 drivers from the link you downloaded the audio driver from. Never heard of a latency patch, so maybe the normal 4in1 drivers will work better.

Also, go to the DEVICE MANAGER, (START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc) and let me know if anything has yellow exclamation/question marks next to it.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 27 May 2006 - 09:13 AM.

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Installed that driver too, no change, lines with the patch, choppy sound without the patch :whistling:.

No exclamation marks in device manager either.

This is driving me insane!

This is the patch: http://www.georgebre...t/software/#PCI

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The latency patch can have adverse affects on computers running Service Pack 2 because of the increased security features. Do you have SP2 installed?

Other then getting a new video card for your computer there is really nothing I can find about your problem. I would try contacting MSI Tech Support and see if they know a fix for it.

Fenor

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am running SP2, but that message just relates to a problem installing - the patch installs fine, and solves the problem it is intended to.