Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speed Up Computer

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi, I got a new laptop quite recently and it's made me realise how slow my other computer actually is. Well, it's not actually slow... it's quite fast really, but not as fast as it once was. It takes about 2 minutes to boot up, whereas it used to take about 20 seconds. I've looked on a few websites and followed their advice, here's what I've done so far:
  • Checked for viruses and malware. (None found! :blink: )
  • Defragmented hard disk using Windows Defragmenter
  • Defragmented system files using pagedefrag.
  • Cleared all system "junk" on all accounts using CCleaner (that was really bad, I managed to reclaim like 1 GB)
  • Uninstalled all unused programs and archived old files to an external hard disk,
  • Removed unused fonts (500 to 280)
  • Configured startup programs using msconfig and the section in CCleaner (I don't think I've done this too well)
Is there anything else I should do. I've read that reinstalling Windows will refresh everything and make it faster... but I want to avoid doing this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated. :whistling:

Thanks for reading,
Mike

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi o2mcgovem!

What part takes the longest during boot up? Does it take a long time between turning the computer on and the windows is loading screen to appear, or does it take a log time once past the windows is loading screen for the desktop icons to appear and for the computer to be usable?

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus (or any variation of Norton products installed for that matter)?

Fenor

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi Fenor, It takes a while once it gets to the screen with the Windows logo.

Nope, I've got no Norton Products installed. (That is a good thing isn't it?)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lets take a look at what is starting up when your computer does. Please download HiJackThis (from the link in my signature) Install it, and double-click on the HiJackThis.exe icon. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...On the next screen, click on the Generate StartupList log button and post a copy of the log here. You need not check either of the boxes next to this button.

Lets take a look at what you have installed on your computer. Please open HiJackThis.exe again. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...on the next screen, click on the Open Uninstall Manager button and click on Save List on the next screen. Save it to your desktop so it is easy to find. Once saved, open up the saved file, located on your desktop, and copy and paste everything in it in your next post.

Fenor

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Done and done...

Startup List: Removed, see my next post
Uninstall List: Removed, see my next post.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 27 May 2006 - 08:08 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: What is the volume of your HD and how much free space is left?

2: When you ran CCleaner did you scan for issues? Please do that. run it few times to make sure that no issues left.

3: I would run a registry cleaner and defragmenter. Download and install Advanced System Optimizer (a link in my signature). You can run it for a trial period of 30 days. Under "System Cleaner" run "System and Disk Cleaner" and "Registry Cleaner and Fixer". Under "System optimizers" run "Registry Defragger and Optimizer".

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Lol, I'm sorry... I made a little bit of a mistake. :whistling: Okay, well a massive mistake. The logs I posted were for my laptop (which I use for everything including posting here), and not for my other computer.

I know, I know... I'm an idiot. I'll get the real logs posted here tomorrow.

Sorry!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I was kinda wondering why you would have software for a touchpad starting up on a desktop computer, but I was thinking maybe the other computer was a laptop as well. I'll be waiting for your logs tomorrow.

Fenor

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Okay, the logs are attached. Sorry about the slow response time, I've been out these past couple of days... Saw the Da Vinci Code (which is really good) and went out for a meal in a fancy restaurant. I'm going to be out Thursday and Friday too, I'm just so popular you see... :whistling: , no not really it's just I've got family migrating to ours again and we're going to make the most of the time and do some fun stuff.

I'm not too sure what you'll find in the logs, but (and I'm not making excuses here) I don't really ever use this computer any more so I don't really know what's been installed or downloaded.

Bye for now, thanks for the help so far :blink:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Really isn't anything starting up that would slow down your computer. What is the speed of your computer and how much memory (RAM) do you have in it? Also, what is the size of the hard drive and how much space is left on it?

Fenor

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Speed? Um, it's an "3Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processor with Hyper Threading Technology" and it's got 512MB of RAM. I want to upgrade the RAM, but there's a tag on the back which says that the warrenty is void if the case is opened. :whistling:

The hard disk is 80GB, and we've got about 20GB remaining now.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 02 June 2006 - 05:36 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
have you tried what I suggested in post no. 6? Cleaning and defragging the registry can be very important.

You mentioned in your first post that you unchecked items from your startup (msconfig etc.) " not so successfully". What do you mean by that? Enter startup and uncheck everything which is not related to an antimalware software. start and see if there is any difference.

If all this doesnt help I would disconnect from the internet and uninstall Avast, Windows Defender and ZoneAlarm. Run the computer while disconnected and see if there is any difference. If it is running considerably better reinstall them one at time and see if there is any which considerably slows the computer. (Personally I prefer the combination of AVG Free, zonealarm (the firewall only), Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard. All excellent, resources light, free programs)

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The speed of a laptop harddisk is somewhere in the 5k rpm... 5.4k I believe. Which is somewhat slwoer than the usual IDE disks in the desktops, which is 7.2k and sometimes even 10K.

This slower RPM is the cause it's slower than normal pc's. So I would believe that a 3 Ghz laptop takes about 1/3 longer to boot than a desktop with the excact same hardware, but then a normal IDE harddisk.

But eough talk, here are some tips:

1. If you are using it for games only, stop using a shell, such as Explorer or Aston. No matter how small, they still use resources. (If you want to know how to disable the shell, PM me or google)

2. Depending on how long you've been using the same disk without format/defrag.... Defrag your harddisk at least once per month. Or per week for the hardcore gamers. (personal preferance, every day at 18:00 hours, thats 6 PM.)

3. Start overclocking =) .... (THIS IS A JOKE!!! DON'T OVERCLOCK LAPTOPS!!! :blink: )

4. If all fails, get used to it :whistling:

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Yep, I defragmented the registry.

I only just installed ZoneAlarm the other day and I didn't notice any difference between before and after. I'll uninstall Windows Defender, but I'm not uninstalling avast! because I'll have to re-apply for a license[sp] code.

I used to use AVG, but I didn't really like it. It used to annoy me everyday with this irritating update window, I like avast because it seems to have much more in terms of protection (an IM shield, a P2P shield, a Web shield) and doesn't annoy me with that update window.

Thanks for your help so far.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Oh, and IO-Error... I don't know what you're talking about? :whistling:

The speed of a laptop harddisk is somewhere in the 5k rpm... 5.4k I believe. Which is somewhat slwoer than the usual IDE disks in the desktops, which is 7.2k and sometimes even 10K.

It's not a laptop... It's a desktop, lol. But I'll try some of your suggestions, I'm going to defragment more often (every Wednesday at 20:00 [24hr time is way better than 12hr time :blink:]). I'm not ready to try step four jusy yet.

Also, could you please check out my other topic at http://www.geekstogo...on-t115238.html and see if you can help... I really do need help with it.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 02 June 2006 - 12:47 PM.