Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Biostar Tforce 6100 Motherboard help

• Please log in to reply

Lennon

Lennon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've built my own computers before but I can't figure out why this thing won't work.

My parents were running a terrible stock mobo on a vpr matrix system and it wasn't holding up so I decided to replace it, the video card, and the processor with a Biostar Tforce 6100 mobo, video card GeForce 7600 GT, and processor is an AMD athlon 64 3400+. I know they're all put in right and the plugs are where they should be, I didn't change any jumpers from stock on the mobo.

I turn it on and the 2 LED's that say it has power and that memory voltage is normal come on but the other two don't, which means there's a CPU chipset error according the mobo user guide and won't turn on, the chip went in fine, the heatsink went in fine, I don't know what the error could be, the CPU is brand new and as far as I can see everything is properly done, is there a different jumper configuration for that CPU or is there something I'm not doing right with connections? I figured it's probably a common problem but I don't know what it is. my power supply is 460w, I figured that would be sufficient?

Any help would be appreciated, the only time I've ever dealt with CPU installations before was replacing one in my friends system and it was the same model as the previous one that ceased working, went in without any problem like this at all.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Set up your system in the most minimal configuration possible: no hard, optical or floppy drives, one stick of RAM, the power supply, CPU, heatsink and fan, and the video card, keyboard and mouse. If possible, use the old video card and power supply because you know for sure that they work. Is the old RAM compatible ? Use it if it is (PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200 will do).

Assuming that all the components are good, there may be several things that may be keeping it from booting. First, try to reset the BIOS. Most motherboards have a small jumper that must be changed in position on a 3-pin header. Check the mobo manual for instructions on how to do this. If the board has no BIOS reset jumper then remove the battery for one minute and then reinstall it.

Another possibility is that there may be another jumper, or even a switch on the motherboard that needs to be put in a particular position for your particular CPU. Again, the manual should have the procedure if it exists.

If all else fails give Biostar tech support a call. I once had to call one manufacturer to learn an unpublished install procedure for an "OEM" Athlon processor.

Lennon

Lennon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the tips I really appreciate it, I'll give it a shot tommorow morning, the guide it came with is pretty vague so if a minimal setup won't tell me what it is I'll probably have to call.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Be sure to post back about your results, good or bad.

Good luck