Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Corruption

• Please log in to reply

depawl

depawl

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
This computer is a Dell Dimension desktop running XP Home SP2. A couple weeks ago a family member was downloading something and the download apparently stalled, he cancelled and rebooted. Since then Internet Explorer will not open any websites, and System Restore gives an error “System Restore has encountered a problem and needs to close. Do you want to send an error report……..”.
Firefox is also installed on this computer and works fine. I can do without IE but am concerned about not having System Restore.
I have tried the following:
Ran ewido malware removal, Spybot and Ad-Aware (all in Safe Mode), system was clean.
Ran Trend Micro Housecall, system was clean.
Ran ccleaner.
HiJack This had a few “nasty” entries but removing them made no difference.
Ran sfc /scannow.
Repaired Internet Explorer and System Restore using the command line “rundll……” commands.
Reinstalled SP2.
Turned off all Startup programs via msconfig.
Turned off all Internet Explorer Add-Ons.

I can ping everything ok.
I’m pretty much out of options other than a Repair Install of XP. I have about 30 gig’s of family photos on here that I need to back up first. Any other suggestions?
I can provide my HJT log if needed.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi depawl!

I recommend trying to reinstall System Restore, here's how:

1. You will need to be able to see hidden files/folders. If you don't know how to do this, go HERE.

2. Open MY COMPUTER and double click on LOCAL C: and then WINDOWS and then the INF folder. Locate the file called sr.inf. Right click this file and select INSTALL from the list.

Note: This procedure will delete all restore points from your old installation and recreate a fresh installation of System Restore.

Fenor

depawl

depawl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Fenor:
The system Restore repair that I did using the rundll command basically does the same thing. Didn't help.
Thanks.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Actually it does alot more then what you did before. Give it a try. :whistling:

Fenor

depawl

depawl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I did an XP repair install which corrected the System Restore problem but Internet Explore still will not access any websites. It's weird because I can open a local html file with it, but when I try to access any website it just opens to a blank page. I can ping ok, and Firefox works fine.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please provide a HJT log so I can take a look at it, but PLEASE ADD IT AS AN ATTACHMENT AND NOT IN YOUR POST. I'll take a look at it and see if I can find anything that might be causing your problem with IE.

Fenor

depawl

depawl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Log attached.
thanks.

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Looks to me like you used to have Norton Internet Security Suite installed on your computer before and then changed to AVG. Good move there, but looks like everything was removed. Let's take a look at what is still lying around.

Please open HiJackThis.exe. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...on the next screen, click on the Open Uninstall Manager button and click on Save List on the next screen. Save it to your desktop so it is easy to find. Once saved, open up the saved file, located on your desktop, and copy and paste everything in it in your next post.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 28 May 2006 - 08:25 AM.

depawl

depawl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Fenor:
Here's the list attached.
Quite a bit of stuff in there but I didn't see anything from Norton or Symantec. Like I said originally other family members use this computer so I'm not sure what ( or wasn't) installed or uninstalled properly.
thanks mucho
depawl

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Who do you use to access the Internet? Do you use dial-up or DSL or cable? I see at least two dial-up programs installed: Juno and Netzero. Do you use either of these?

Feno

Advertisements

depawl

depawl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes I use netzero.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Uninstall Juno from ADD & REMOVE PROGRAMS in the Control Panel. Then, while in the control panel, click on INTERNET OPTIONS. Under the CONNECTIONS tab, what is listed in the white box under the Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings heading?

Fenor

depawl

depawl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Removed Juno, no difference.
Netzero is listed as the default connection.
Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would try uninstall the netzero software and then reinstalling it

Fenor

depawl

depawl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Fenor:
Thanks for the help but that hasn't done it either. I'm done messing around with this thing. I'm going to reformat today. I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks again.