Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help. I need a media player!

• Please log in to reply

WildCide

WildCide

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been looking for media players for a long time, but I haven't found my bowl of porage yet. Please help me find one! Here's what I'm looking for:

-A lot of supported file types/codecs/etc... DRM (protected) WMA files have been the problem so far. And with WMP I am constantly running into things it doesn't support
-very low strain on system... its old and slow already.
-integration... i use FireFox, so ability to integrate with browser is a big plus
-sound quality... obviously
-skins and other extensions would be cool, but not a huge deal.
-oh, and its gotta be free.

Let me rule out some of the biggies: WMP (high strain, file types), WinAmp (don't know, i just don't like it), and Itunes (never!). I've also tried VLC and XMPlay recently. VLC has some major issues and XMplay doesn't play protected WMA's (but otherwise its not too bad).

I've noticed that media players that do both audio and video seem to compromise some things from each category, so I'm more than happy with one audio player and a separate video player. I'd actually like as many suggestions as I can get. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Posted Image

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, if winamp is out(the best option fills all of your criteria with ease), have you tried WMP11 beta. Media player classic is an option, youve gone through most of the players allready that are low usage on resources, creative media source is maybe an option, there are a few little players but none that great and all the good ones do both video and audio. Ive never noticed any compromise in Winamp myself for video its a second thing for it i use media player classic for vids anyway. I would try classic or media source, if you dont like those i would give winamp another go its your best bet just get a skin if you dont like the interface the nice things about WMP its totally customisable if you want a new skin they are easy to make. The ones you have tried allready suit most its hard to find good ones that fill all your criteria that arent one of those.

Firefox integration is done through foxytunes an extension for FF there is a couple but the most popular is the best, it does most media players it has a list.

Also try installing the Klite mega codec pack it should give you all the codecs you need.

PS porridge is how you spell it.