Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Beta(2) Defender

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Do you recommend if I download and use the above mentioned anti-spyware program with the following system:

Ram 448 megs
Pentium 2 Processor
400 mgz

Would this conflict with Spybot S&D. Do I remove Spybot S&D before downloading?

Waynf

Advertisements

Richard John

Richard John

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'd say it'd run fine on that machine (but I don't know the actual reccomended specs, so check them). And it shouldn't conflict with SB S&D, you can usually run two or more ant-spyware programs without issue, it's virus scanners and firewalls you have trouble with.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
why not try Ad-Aware?

microsoft defender is still a beta and is more likely to have bugs in it than Ad-Aware.

Ad-Aware will run on those specs.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I used Ad-Aware on my old Windows 98SE, in attempts to remove some Malware problems about a year ago, but it caused problems with my Avast Anti-Virus program, but my old 98 only had bare-bones memory. I am still running Avast! on my Windows XP though.

The recommendations I got off Microsoft Web site, was :

300 mgz
64 megs ram
20 mets free hard drive space
Pentium III

Waynf

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Oh, by the way, the reason I'm investigating this Beta business, is because I've been encountering difficulty updating Spybot( I keep getting "bad check-sum" messages after trying to update.) I always wondered what that means anyway?)

Waynf

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Read THIS about the Spy Bot bad checksum update. If you can't get it to update, go ahead and download Microsoft Defender Beta.

Edited by emery, 27 May 2006 - 08:48 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
As a registered Beta Tester with M$, I would recommend NOT running a Beta version of anything on your primary machine unless you know how to recover from any problems.

Ron

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Please see my posting re Download problem with Ad-Aware

Waynf