Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet not working properly

• Please log in to reply

Achilarre

Achilarre

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Sometimes when I type in a web address I get an error message that says "internet cannot open search page" ....then if i open a new browser window it works....but then i will happen again

not sure what is wrong, what should i do?

thanks

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
please be more specific about your problem. what browser are you using? does it happen with all websites or only certain websites?

thanks.

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
i am using microsoft internet explorer...it seems totally random not any specific websites

its like i lose my internet connection every couple of minutes

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Do you have a wireless connection to the internet?

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
no its a cable modem

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I recently did a clean reinstall of windows....i have a cable modem but do not have the original cable modem software (roadrunner)...could that have something to do with it?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Pick the driver you need here:

Roadrunner Drivers

Post if this doesn't help. At least it will eliminate the driver. :whistling:

Ron

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I uzipped the files to my desktop, but I do not know which file is the driver..can you help?

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
The problem is weird..internet works fine, then all of a sudden i get "internet cannot open search page"

I am not sure if I need a better driver. I did install a network driver right after i did the reinstall of windows

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I uzipped the files to my desktop, but I do not know which file is the driver..can you help?

As for original post, see if reading this will help you:
Internet Explorer Cannot Open the Search Page

Also this one:
Page Cannot Be Displayed

As for your modem driver, I just wanted you to see if you could find yours and download the driver so you would have it. It is always better to use the manufacturer's driver than the one provided by Window's. I would think you could call your cable company and request another install cd for your modem. Have you tried?

Which specific modem do you have? There were 12 listed.

I understand your Internet connection is directly through the modem. Right? Is there a install.exe file in the list of unzipped files? I'll try to get back on about install instructions after your next post.

Ron

Achilarre

Achilarre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I called the cable company and they said the modem works without software.

It is a cable modem that I am directly connected to.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wonder who you talked to at your cable company? I thought you were going to install the latest driver for modem since you did a clean install. If you would post the make/model, I may be able to pinpoint the driver although you said you have already unzipped the correct files. You will probably have to install other drivers and should chech Device Manager to see if it lists any problems in yellow.

Anyone else welcome to jump in with ideas if you wish.

Ron