Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ipod charging in england

• Please log in to reply

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey,

i live in the usa and im going on a trip to london, i am taking my ipod video with me and also mini. I have a usb charger for my ipods. What voltage converter do i need to take with me to england?

can someone please tell me what voltage converter i need so i dont fry my ipod.
so i want a converter that i can plug my usb charger into.

-ankush patel

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi ankush patel!

England runs on 220 volts, whereas the United States runs on 110 volts. Therefore you will need to get a step-down voltage converter.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 27 May 2006 - 09:45 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can charge it on USB without a converter, if you need to plug it in any bog standard converter should do it easy to pick up in the airport.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey thanks for the reply,

so when i go to the store to buy a voltage converter what am i looking for a converter that says "110-220"

and then my ipod will charge through my usb charger?

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey just to clear things up,

i have a video ipod and i have a external charger this one-http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9837LL/A

but obviously the end of the external charger wont fit into a britian plug. What do i need to buy?

Edited by ankush patel, 27 May 2006 - 10:45 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A 2 to 3 pin converter with voltage conversion down, you might not actually need a converter for the voltage check the rating on the plug if it has 111-240V on the input then it just needs the 2 to 3 pin with no extra cable.

Or you could just charge it on a computer via the USB slot if you are really stuck.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i also want to charge my camera and it says 100v-240v

im not sure about the usb charger for the ipod i was going to purchase one.

but like you said i do have a 2 to 3 pin.

just making sure will this work and not screw up my devices?

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i was just lookin at the apple uk store and when i looked at the end of the usb charger it was the same as us. 2 pin? will this work there without anything?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No our plugs have 3 pins as we have an earth pin in our plugs, also they are a different shape they are thicker metal much more solid, make sure its British 3-pin alot of countries use 3 pin bus some use circular pins ours is rectangular pins be sure to check that, alot of appliances are coming with the same adapters and plugs they just ship them with the adapters for each country in question, judging by the size of the ipod adapter you linked to i would imagine its input range is 110-240 most are these days as it makes them easier to produce.