Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Someone is watching my computer [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Eagle44

Eagle44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a roomate who I believe is monitor my computer use. My roommate is telling me things she could only get by monitoring my computer - what nasty sites I visit, who I communicate with on my email, etc. I think maybe all of my computer usage is being remotely monitored. She may be getting help from someone who is very tech savvy.

My roommate previously did not administrator rights to her account on my computer. Her son, however, hooked his laptop up to my computer, and gave her administrators rights. She got an I-pod last Christmas as a gift from me and I was away for the Christmas holiday - so her son overrode her non-administrator status and gave her administrative status. As a result, she went through all of my personal files, saved emails and pictures.

I have Spyware doctor installed at home - I am now at work. But there is nothing detected when scans are performed. I had previously installed spectorsoft software to try to see if I was being monitored. My anti-spyware software found some of these spectorsoft files and I deleted those whatever spectorsoft software files it quarantined. Now my scans all come up clean.

How can tell if someone is monitoring my use including monitoring my email passwords, internet surfing sites, getting into my personal photos, passwords for cell phone usage, financial records, taxes, etc.?

I am afraid to use my computer at home now as everything I do seems to be monitored. Do I need to take my computer into some computer forensics shop to see if some hidden monitoring software is on my computer? There must be someway to find out if there is monitoring software on my computer.

Advertisement

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Usually these monitoring programs will have some trace of it showing up in the list of running processes or in the startup items menu. So we'll look there first.

You can check your Add/Remove Programs panel and C:\Program Files\ to see if you can spot any suspicious looking program names and look them up online to find out what they are related to also.

Go to Start->Run and type in msconfig and hit OK. Click on Normal Startup and hit OK. Now I want you to do the following:

Please read the first link in my signature below and follow the steps there. Post the HijackThis log here when ready.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisement