Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Video Card

• Please log in to reply

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hi, I recently decided to upgrade my stock Intel video card to something that will allow me to play games at higher quality.

I looked around (with no knowledge of what I needed) and came up with this card. eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT CO 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

It seems perfect, under $200, reviews say it's easy to install and plays most games on High quality.

Then I heard from a friend that all cards aren't compatible with all computers. I'm here asking if someone can help me understand whether this card can work with my computer or whether I need to look for a different one.

Thanks in advance :whistling:
logan11

Dell Dimension B110

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
He/she was probably telling you that each mobo can only have an AGP, PCI, or PCI-E slot for a graphics card. So first you have to find out what kind you have.

Second, I wouldn't upgrade yet unless you're desperate because DX10 is coming out soon (as you probably know) and your new card will be outdated already :whistling:

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I'm not really worried about being outdated, I just want a card that can play WoW and some shooting games with better graphics than I have now. Since the games I play are fairly new and still have a good shelf-life, they shouldn't be switching to DX10 should they?

It sucks to jump into a gun fight and lag to death. Heh.

Also, when DX10 comes out, won't the cards that support it cost more than $200?

And last, how do I find out whether my computer has an AGP, PCI, or PCI-E slot?

Thanks again,
logan11

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
1) DX10 cards will range from cheap in price (low-end) to arm/leg (high end). Everyone seems to have this false idea that they'll all be sooo expensive, but there will be full ranges. But if you don't care about being outdated, go with whatever pretty much.

2) To find AGP, PCI, or PCI-E compatability, look in the mobo or computer manual, it will be in there somewhere.