Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cat6 cabling problems

• Please log in to reply

JonnyK

JonnyK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,
I have just had our house rewired and had my electrician install Cat6 cabling throughout (who unfortunately as it turns out, is no expert)
I have 7 rooms with Cat5e female sockets all coming back to my office where they terminate in 7 Cat5e female sockets. In the office I have a router which is connected to the female sockets via standard ethernet cables.

5 of the rooms seem to be working fine, but two rooms have a problem - I get connectivity, but I get the dreaded "Limited or no connectivity message."

So, I have two questions:

1. Should the wiring in the sockets in the office and in each of the rooms be configured in exactly the same way? (they are not - currently all the rooms are the same, but they are different to the office)
2. Do you have any good troubleshooting techniques to find out what's wriong with the two rooms that don't work?
I've scoured the net for wiring schematics, but I can't find any (i.e. how to wire the centre of the network vs the nodes)

Yours hopefully...
Jonny

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
1. yes The wiring connections should be the same at both ends.
the connections for cat5/6 must be as short as possible,with only enough twist removed for termination.

(The cat5/6 certification can only be applied if cables have been fully tested and a full technical report on each cable supplied by contractor)

2.If possible try a known working port and swap it to the problem cables if they fail ,check termination at both ends cables could also be damaged during installation

Ps yes I am a licenced cat 5/6 contractor(35yrs in industry)

JonnyK

JonnyK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks very much - I'll haul him in and get him to change it.
What's odd is that 5 of the rooms work and yet they are not wired the same way as the sockets in the office where the router is located!
I'm confused...