Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random disconnects and latency spikes

• Please log in to reply

Four shots of espresso

Four shots of espresso

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
As the title says, I'm on a cable connection (direct, no router), and for the last few days I've been getting severe latency spikes and dropped connections. This is most noticeable while I'm playing WoW, since my ping jumps to 2k+ and I experience serious lag and usually disconnect from the server. I can always reconnect right after and get no lag, until 10-15 minutes later when it happens all over again. I know it's not just a warcraft thing, because my internet radio stream goes dead for about 30 seconds. I've tried restarting the computer, rebooting the modem (both using the reset button and unplugging), running spyware/virus/malware scans, and the repair function in the control panel. Also when this happens, I watch the lights on the cable modem, and the "online" light never blinks or turns off, plus I made sure the plugs were firmly seated. No idea what is causing this, and neither does Timewarner.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I use another cable service and notice when I have problems with them, the Online light stays on, yet I'm experiencing problems. Usually following all their procedures for resetting modem sometimes shows Online light off which means modem never knew I was experiencing problems. Very aggrevating, but I am in an area which Katrina hit, and the cable company keeps assuring me that they are repairing the problem. It only affects the 'Net service :whistling: and not the cable TV.

Have you just tried rolling back to an earlier restore point to see if it clears up? Do you run a regular schedule of disk clean-up? Just guessing here for now.

Ron

Four shots of espresso

Four shots of espresso

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I usually run disk cleanup/antivirus/spyware every week and defrag every 2 weeks, so that's all up to date. System restore didn't do anything either. I called the cable company and they're sending someone out on Friday who can tell me he doesn't know what's causing it just like the person on the phone...

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Same here who is your isp if its Comcast then wow its a nationwide problem then