Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adaptec USB2 PCI card problem

• Please log in to reply

drmull

drmull

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I just did a repair install with WinXP after adding a new MB and CPU. I have an Adaptec 5100 USB2 PCI card. In hardware manager, it is recognized as being installed in PCI slot 6, but it isn't functioning.

I did what the Adapetc site recommended for installing their driver, which was disabling the "NEC to PCI" driver and then updating it with Adaptec's driver (which I downloaded). At the end of the process, XP said the "device is now enabled". But...when I plug a device into the card nothing happens - the PC doesn't see it. Also, the second USB port on the card (there are 5) doesn't supply any power- it did before the repair install.

The USB2 ports that come from the MB are working fine. The PC responds to anything I plug into them.

Any ideas...maybe give up????

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
PCI plug-in cards don't require drivers because the driver is built into the XP operating system. Only Win 95 and 98 require drivers.

Try deleting the PCI adapter in Hardware Manager and the reboot.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks WinCrazy - it worked. The "dead" 2nd port on the card is now working. Dumb question, though. Am I getting full USB2 speeds from the built-in WinXP drivers?? Why would you want to use Adaptec's drivers?

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could look in device manager, click the + next to USB Controllers to see if you have enhanced controller there

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
As Keith pointed out "enhanced" USB controllers provide the faster USB2.0 speeds.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK...I don't have any "enhanced" USB drivers listed in Device Manager. How do I install an enhanced driver for my Adaptec PCI card? All I have listed is the NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller (listed twice).

I downloaded the latest driver for my card from Adaptec but it didn't seem to work (as originally posted).

So right now I don't have USB2, correct? Thanks

BTW -I need the PCI card to be full USB2 speed because I want to connect a Store-It drive for backup which is USB powered and requires two ports.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Update* - I think I figured it out. I had no idea I was supposed to be reinstalling the driver for the "Other Devices-->Unknown Device" in Device Manager. I was trying to update the driver for the NEC PCI to USB controller in the "USB controllers" list. Now I have a "Standard Enhanced" driver listed. Hooray...

Edited by drmull, 28 May 2006 - 11:55 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know