Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG vs Avast

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I've got 18 days until my Norton Internet Security 2005 expires. I know most here at Geeks to Go hate Norton. So I'm reserching my options. The two most popular AV are AVG and Avast...

I've read a lot of reviews at Download.com on both and got mixed opinions.

One person said AVG doesn't have a firewall bundled and Avast does. At the Avast website they called it a Network Shield or light weight firewall.

Most people complained that AVG doesn't have real time protection and only alerts them after the virus has loaded on their computer, they say that Avast does have real time protection, but Avast still seems less popular than AVG.

Help me out here Geeks!

I am very scared to let go of Norton because I like how it integrates itself into all parts of my pc... like being able to choose if I want to block pop ups and ads when browsing websites, it has real time protection, it scans my emails, it has a great Firewall. And the Parental Controls feature is very important to me.

But I would like a break on the $$$ and I'd like to see if my pc runs super fast w/o Norton because everyone claims it's a ram/resource hog. If it's just that it takes a while to scan, that's not a big deal to me, I schedule scans at times when I don't need to be on the computer for awhile, so if that's all there is such a fuss about I may reconsider. I guess I just don't know what to choose.

I welcome any opinions!!!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jen147, 27 May 2006 - 02:22 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could consider uninstalling Norton now and trying a combination of Zone Alarm Free with AVG Free

http://www.filehippo...alarm_free/?907 (download this version, not latest beta version)

http://www.filehippo..._avg_antivirus/

If you do not get on with it after a week you can re-install Norton and upgrade

Download and save the files before removing Norton

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
And you can do the same with Avast, personally i prefer Avast because of the reasons you mention and ive never read a review where its been against AVG and not come out slightly ahead, Avast popularity is just one of those things its good but not everyone goes with it because AVG gets talked about more even though its not neccesarily as good, detection wise AVG scanners are as good as avast but it just doesnt have the range of features as Avast does. Avast is a complete alternative to norton and mcaffee AVG still needs some extras although not much.

The avast real time scanner is very good and so is its network shield because most people are allready behond at least one hardware firewall on the router and many have on in the motherboard as well the avast firewall is more than adequate however you can still use zonealarm on top of it if you want to be more secure.

They are both free you can always try both, and both in terms of security of the system beat Norton and Mcafee by a fair margin and both have more regular updates Avast especially is very regular can be as often as 3 or 4 times a day.