Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sp2 Problems! Possible, if yes, Help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Fakeor

Fakeor

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
God, im freaking out on this computer!
Why doesn't Sp2 work? I've tried fifteenhundred and fiftyfive times...
0/1555 worked...

Bah, i may overreacted a bit, but anyway;

I tried Windows Auto. Update! But it cant manage to install Sp2!
Nor did it when i downloaded the Sp2 pack from "teh ultimate microsoft site which solves all ur problems with Windows Xp" :whistling:

I'd be happy 2 know if there's any chance that you guys could help me fix this, so i wont need to reinstall Xp, cos ive used all 5 possible tries with my Windows Xp Prof. Edition CD! I got a crack though, but i gotta "steal/borrow" it from my bro first! Cos he wont allow me to borrow it, because he think's im too stupid so i will kind of "destroy" it...

So before i do something totally wrong, please help! =)

Tnx =)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Fakeor

What is the EXACT ERROR MESSAGE that you are receiving when you try to install Service Pack 2?

Fenor

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Um... Windows Update says:

Following Updates could not finish or something;!
Windows Xp Service Pack 2!

I'll have to download Sp2 again, to check what error i get, cos its a different error...
Gotta try that 2morrow, its soon 0:30AM here -.-"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Fakeor...

If the installation of XP currently on the machine is a legal version, all that is needed to reactivate the OS is to place a call to Microsoft and let them know why you have installed so many times. They are usually very good about issueing new registration numbers.

To use your brother's "crack" would make your installation illegal and the Geeks to Go Terms of Service do not allow for assistance with illegal or pirated software. If you currently are legal, leave it that way...I'm sure Fenor can get you fixed up.

wannabe1

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
My version is legal, the one i use now!
I've used it on all my comps home though, because I(such little kid), have to fix all the comps home whenever they get sucked up by my family members!

I'm just nervous about the calling thingy! o.o
What do i say, English right?(I'm Norwegian, small kid, not good at english)!

If i say that ive used the Product Key to reformat the computer so many times because of viruses and problems, will i HOW get a new key?
Will someone in the other side of the "phone", tell me it? Do i have to write it down...

If its like that, im sure im gonna miss alot of numbers/characters...

And im 13 years old, is there any requirements for "calling the Microsoft" xD

*sich*... I just dunno what to do, never used the calling opinion!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There will be a number for your region and language so the language barrier should be minimal. Good information on activation HERE.

I hope you haven't used your product key for all your installations...you may run into some problems if this is the case. :whistling:

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Aww... What do u mean?

I've used it on my computers, the same product key, cos of computer crashes!

But the 5th time, it didnt work, so now its 30 days trial =7

Tnx =)

I'll post later today about the error!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do the other machines have their own XP cd's (complete with product keys)? Since Microsoft has stepped up it's anti-piracy campaign, chances are good that you will have problems activating and/or updating all the machines you have installed this version on using that product key.

If the other machines have their own product keys, this can probably be strightened out, but at the moment, Microsoft considers what you have done as a violation of their EULA (End User License Agreement). Therein lies the rub. We can assist you some with getting things all legal again, but we can't help with fixing what is essetially (at least right now) viewed as illegal software.

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Bah, screw it then!

Posted Image

Liek, allways happening -.-"

EDIT: I saw trough some other threads with the same problem!

Should i run Windows in safe mode, then install it or whatever, and run normal mode then? o.o

Tnx again for everything =)

Edited by Fakeor, 28 May 2006 - 11:51 AM.

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Soft b.u.m.p.

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Soft b.u.m.p.

Even softer this time =)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Fakeor,

We cannot help you with your problem because you are pirating software, unwittingly, perhaps, but you are pirating software. Your windows license allows you to install one version of Windows XP on one machine.

Each machine needs its own license. You cannot use one license for five different machines.

I know that sounds like a bump rap, but that is the way it is. You need to buy additional copies of XP before we can help you

Sorry

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I dunno whats so "not allowed" by it!

It's the orginal bought version of Windows Xp! The orginal Product Key!
I could use it only uptil 5 times, no matter which computer!
The 6th time, it wouldn't be activated!

So, why didnt Microsoft disable the 5times thingy?

I wouldn't call it pirated...

Well, anyways, its L-A-M-E Of u =)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You are allowed to install it multiple times because Microsoft does not want to hassle its customers who need to install it 5 times on one machine, due to whatever problems might occur

You ARE NOT ALLOWED to install it on five different machines

Whether you like it or not, you are pirating software.

Before, I assumed you were doing it unknowingly

Now that you know, you should rectifiy the situation by purchasing legal copies for each machine you own

What is lame is not my refusing to help, but your insistance that you can steal software