Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Moving Files from one folder to another

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
I've been having this error consistently whenever I try to move a file from one folder to another. For instance, when I try to move a movie from my general shared file to my movie folder, I always get a prompt by Windows to install an application I already have. The application is Easy CD/DVD Creator. I was told to delete this application and reinstall it, but the thing is this program came installed on my computer and I don't have any CDs for it. So I'm wondering if I delete it, will it be gone for good? I asked the Geeks before, but never received an answer.

The problem with moving files is really annoying. Every single time I move a file, the prompt to install the application begins and I have to cancel it right away or it causes the computer to hang. I will delete the application if that will fix it, but how does something like this start happening? What causes Windows to execute the wrong command? Do I need to repair it?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get the same error if you copy the file to the new folder

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Hi Keith,

I haven't tried copying any files, just moving. I'll try copying though.

I just tried it. Yes, I do get the same error.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it Roxio Easy CD Creator, if so, which version?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Yes, it is Roxio. Version 6. I also have Nero, so maybe I shouldn't worry about this application? I just want my computer to stop trying to install the Roxio files, when I already have it and it loads just fine.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is to check for updates to Basic and Platinum

http://www.roxio.com...datesv6_2.jhtml

You could click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up and remove the ticks for Roxio, click apply and reboot, tick the do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

Try to move a file

With the updates being from 2003 and you having Nero, you could look at both programmes and providing Nero covers both, consider uninstalling Roxio, if you upgrade from 6 to Media Creator 8 you are unlikely to have more options than you have with Nero and the discount isn't impressive, but if you do upgrade, get the product in a box

The earlier versions of Nero and Roxio do not get on, I went to Nero support ages ago, they sent me a tool to run, rebooted the PC and it had uninstalled Roxio :whistling:

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
While trying to remove Roxio, I got these errors: Error 1316 A network error occurred while attempting to read file from C:WINDOWS.INSTALLER\ECDC6.msi. This is interesting because this is the same file Nero looks for (*.msi) when trying to uninstall the trial version I still have my computer. I have since bought Nero 7, and I thought I installed it, but my computer only shows Nero 7 trial in my control panel.

I also got a little window that said Fatal error during Add/Remove programs. This is kinda scary.

I think I'm starting to understand that the programs do not get on. Is this sort of like having two antivirus programs?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
I simply cannot remove this program using either the control panel add/remove programs option nor by using another program I have called TuneUp Utilities. TuneUp Utilities was helpful in the past with removing stubborn programs. My next step is to drag it in the trash.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove all the ticks for Roxio, including drag to disc, if installed, in msconfig, start up, click apply and reboot, tick do not start configuration utility when windows loads

Click start, click my computer, double click local disc C then double click programme files, you will get a warning if you haven't opened this before, left click the Roxio folder, click move, move to MY Documents, double click common files and move any Roxio folders to My Documents

Reboot

If you have the product key for Nero, write it down, use add / remove to uninstall Nero

Then run this

http://www.nero.com/...Clean_Tool.html

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

Download and install Nero here if you do not have the file on the drive, or this is a later version

http://www.filehippo...nero_7_premium/

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for Roxio, you should only have the folders you moved to My Documents

If you click start, all programmes, you can right click Nero then click rename

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Keith,

Here's what I've done so far:

1. I have removed Nero with the Nero Clean tool.

2. I ran the disk cleanup and defragged the computer.

3. I did the "Prefetch" thing, removing files.

4. I ran the TuneUp disc clean and registry clean tools. I did not turn off my AV during this time. I think it has suffered a failure once again. This happened about 3 weeks ago. I started getting an error message about Norton not being able to be repaired every time I would boot up. That has happened every time I've booted up since cleaning the registry (2 times).

5. I searched for Roxio on my computer and found several files (about 50) relating to it. I tried deleting the whole lot at once, but I got an error: cannot read from the source file or disk. So, I started deleting the files in chunks. There are now only 3 files left: the one in My Documents, one in c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data and a cookie in my Temporary Internet Files. The first two files say they have 0 bytes in them. The cookie has 275 bytes in it.

I still cannot remove Roxio either through Control Panel Add/Remove or through TuneUp Uninstall Manager.

When I try this, it appears to be working, then it gives me an error and the green progress bars move backwards.

I will try the registry clean up again. This stupid program is making me mad!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Unlocker from my signature, install with the unlocker assistant option, custom install lets you add it to the send to menu, reboot

When you delete anything with access denied it should start the unlocker assistant, then you can either unlock all or use the drop down menu to move / delete etc, on occasion you may need to reboot to delete a folder or file. You can also right click anything then use unlocker

Log files can be the most reluctant to go

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Keith,

I tried installing the Unlocker and running using the Assistant, only after trying to run it through the Unlocker.exe file. I can't get it to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it isn't doing anything from what I can tell. I tried to delete Roxio again, but I just get the same error as before. The Unlocker Assistant is sitting in my Taskbar manager, but isn't helping me in any way. When I click on the Unlocker.exe, nothing happens.

I already tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but the same thing happens. I can't seem to get that Assistant file to do anything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is unlocker an option if you right click a Roxio file?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Keith, sorry if I'm not making a lot of sense. I've only had a few hours of sleep in between repairs. I am doing a search right now, but I can't find a single Roxio file. However, I keep finding the it listed in Control Panel and in a list by TuneUp Utilities. Neither one is able to remove the file. Every time I try to remove Roxio using TuneUp, I get this whole rigamaroll by Easy CD Creator and then it won't remove any files. It looks like it's starting to remove the file, then I get this error 1316.

I did run the TuneUp registry defrag and it removed more than 1,600 files relating to Roxio and Nero. But I still can't get that [bleep] Easy CD Creator out of my Control Panel list of files to be removed. In fact, when I try to remove it from there, that option isn't even available! The only option I have is to change/remove, instead of just remove. NOthing happens when I click change/remove. However, the good thing is that I can move files now without that stupid Windows Installer starting for Easy CD Creator. This is just frustrating that I can't remove the name from the list. I think it's no longer anywhere on the computer, as I did a search and found absolutely nothing. The bad news is, I think my Norton has failed again. I don't know how these problems keep corrupting Norton.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try Tune Up start up manager to look for easy cd and remove the tick, click apply, you could also click the red X to delete the entry from start up

For Norton, download and re-install live update then run it

http://www.symantec....iles/lu/lu.html

If you can move files and Roxio otherwise doesn't affect the PC, leave it for a while

You could clear prefetch again