Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply

blade27

blade27

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I am new to the site. I came here because I am having a problem with installing Flash on my computer(it was on there forever but magically dissapeared one day and now I cannot reinstall). But I have been going through your steps of cleaning my computer first before I ask for help. So I get to the Windows update step and I find out I do not have the Service Pack 2 on my computer. I try to download it and it installs but when it trys to initialize I get an error message and then it automatically removes all components of the service pack from my computer. I have retried 3 times now. I went to my updates log and this is the error message associated with this : Error Code: 0x87FF0004 :whistling:

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

...but when it trys to initialize I get an error message...

What is the error message you get?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The knowledge base only gives adapter driver error for that

[attachment=8674:attachment]

http://support.micro...kb/292460/en-us

I would have thought updates would have said if that is the problem before downloading anything

Can you check the error

blade27

blade27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I pasted that error code directly from the update log but that is not what was given when the error occurs, there actually was no code given just a message saying error and som. I will try to install again and provide the exact wording in the error message- but like I said no error code was provided.
Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x87FF0004
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting updates)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this to see if it will install

http://download.micr...580-x86-ENU.exe

allhailthesporks

allhailthesporks

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been having the same problem- Error 0x87FF0004. I tried to download that hotfix given by hats_off, but I got a message saying that I needed to have Service Pack 1 installed and I didn't. I'm thinking this might also be why I can't download Service Pack 2? I'm having problems starting my computer now, so I really need a fix ASAP. I'm nervous about uninstalling the part of the Service Pack that installed because I got a message saying that certain programs might not run correctly if I do. So what should I do?!