Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading USB to 2.0

• Please log in to reply

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I am checking prices of these PCI adaptor cards USB 2.0. They range from ten dollars to thirty five dollars for a four port card. My questions-

1. Is there a difference between the cheap cards and the expensive cards?

2. I notice on some cards there are 4 external ports and one internal port. What is the internal port used for.

PS. I am new to this site and have been reading the forums. Excellent info. I am convinced not to buy a new computer for another year. I want to take advantage of all the new hardware coming out. So I'll let the dust settle than pick one up. So for now I will merely upgrade.

thx

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm not certain there will be a vast amount of difference between the cheaper cards & the most expensive. I would advise however that you opt for a reasonably good brand - eg Belkin or similar. Whichever one you go for though, just google it first to make sure there are no major issues or problems with it.

As for the internal port - this is for connecting to a front USB port (i.e on the front of the case instead of the rear). If your case doesn't have front USB, then you can buy PCI USB cards that actually come with a 3.5in USB bay. This fits into a floppy disk bay in the case & provides you with front USB ports.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
thanks for the info. I purchased a new card and will get it in a few days. I have one usb port in the front of my computer. So I can connect the internal 2.0 port to the front usb port? If so what cable do I use. I assume there must be a preexisting cable there now. Can I use that one?

thx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Re. the cable question - your case should have an internal USB cable already connected to this port. The only thing is, it will probably be the type that connects to a motherboard USB header (i.e bare pin type), as opposed to the type you will probably have on the USB card.
Best thing to do is open the case up & have a look. If the cable has a plastic block connector (or lots of single pin plastic connecters) on the end, then you have the first type.
If the cable has a metal USB plug on the end, then it should work with the card's internal USB port straight away.

Let me know what type you have. Also, it might be wise to wait for the card to arrive & see what type of connection it uses for the internal port & whether it comes with any cables.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi

I installed the new card. Downloaded some Electric Wizard to my mp3 player. WOW. So Fast.

My front USB and Firewire port is wired into my mobo. My new card did not come with any cables. Is tehre a way to get the front ports 2.o speed?

thx for your help. It was funny upgrading my pc even though it was simple.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

You said that you currently have your front USB ports connected to the motherboard, right? I assume then that you have a cable running from the front USB (inside the case), to the motherboard USB header.
Does the USB header look the same as the one on the new USB card? If not, then what does the one on the card look like?

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
The front port has 1 usb and 1 firewire. The header is not the same as the new card. It has a 4 pin small black clip. One goes to the usb and one for the firewire to the mobo.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What does the internal USB port on the card look like? Is it bare pins or does it look like as normal USB port (socket). If it's the latter, then you probably won't be able to connect it to the front USB on your case.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Its a normal usb port. thanks for the help.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Simple fix get a usb extn lead plug into usb2 card at rear and run to convenient location to give usb2 access.Can do same with a usb hub too!