Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible virus? cannot install windows updates

• Please log in to reply

Jayne-xdustyx

Jayne-xdustyx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I turned on my laptop to discover that i had a warning saying that windows couldn't locate local disc C. All the data in my documents had gone and the laptop was practically back to factory set. I did a sysytem restore and managed to get back my documents BUT...
It wouldn't let me back my data up to disc, my cd/dvd drive kept disappearing from the system and won't read cds/dvd that contain data. I formatted my laptop which is just a system recovery cd, i cannot fully re-install windows. NOW i cannot install any microsoft software, it tells me it can't find the necessary files... also i went on windows update to get the latest updates and even though it said they were downloading and installing... on the error log it appears that they failed. I did a diagnostics check on my cd/dvd drive and it will NOT test it, it skips the test... It will let me do a format and will let me install the software that came with my laptop but thats all. Nero and record now which i use for burning my data to disc WON'T let me back up any files. It will read cds, but won't let me install any software. I am concerned about this because i had had a warning from someone who has my ip address through a piczo site that i didn't know what they were capable of doing, the very next day this happened to my laptop. I just don't know what to do :whistling: it's as though something is preventing me from updating my system from microsoft and stopping me backing up any data i already have. Please can anyone help me? Thankyou very much for taking the time to read this i hope someone can help me. ( i have done 3 full system scans and tested for malware etc but they've all come back clean) Jayne.

Advertisements