Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Local Area Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

tanarus_dragon

tanarus_dragon

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
i'm not too sure when this started ... but i always have this tray icon that says that theres something wrong with the local area connection ...

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you using the LAN? I have a LAN for neighbor, but I'm hardwired through router.

What is the problem reported on a mouseover of the icon? Not connected, signal strength too weak, what? Should show something. Is there a red X through the icon? If you are having a No Connection problem, try right-clicking the icon and select Repair and let Windows repair the connection.

Ron

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Try this:
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.

3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.

4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.

5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.

6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

Okay your way out.
Let us know if it helps.
Johanna

tanarus_dragon

tanarus_dragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Are you using the LAN? I have a LAN for neighbor, but I'm hardwired through router.

What is the problem reported on a mouseover of the icon? Not connected, signal strength too weak, what? Should show something. Is there a red X through the icon? If you are having a No Connection problem, try right-clicking the icon and select Repair and let Windows repair the connection.

Ron

i'm not sure what u mean ... when i go to the task manager .. it looks like i am using the local area connection... but i'm not on wireless internet or anythign... when i go to repair .. it says it can't renew the ip adress or something... o.O?

tanarus_dragon

tanarus_dragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Try this:
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.

3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.

4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.

5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.

6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

Okay your way out.
Let us know if it helps.
Johanna

i dont really notice anything different other than the tray icon being gone... ...was that all that was suppose to happen?

tanarus_dragon

tanarus_dragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i supposedly have a 3.0 Mbps connection through my isp... but when i download stuff .. such as a torrent... it peaks at around 80-90 kB/s... what could be the problem here?

...also i've seen it up to around 200... ..theres a lot of people are seeding.. .so a lot of people are uploading the file .. i just dont see why my speeds almost never go past 1.5 Mb

Edited by tanarus_dragon, 10 June 2006 - 04:21 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

...i'm not sure what u mean ... when i go to the task manager .. it looks like i am using the local area connection... but i'm not on wireless internet or anythign... when i go to repair .. it says it can't renew the ip adress or something... o.O?

If you are not on any wireless or LAN, then just right click the Icon and select disable. If Icon is no longer present in tray, then click Start button, Control Panel and select Network Connections and Local Area Networks. Select Disable from the menu.

If tray icon being gone is what you wanted as advised by Johanna, then we should be done on this thread. Any advice concerning torrent is not for this forum. If you need more help concerning original thread, please post back here either way. Thank you for using geekstogo.com.

Ron

tanarus_dragon

tanarus_dragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok thanks for helping me... everything is normal now :whistling: