Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing windows on a WD raptor

• Please log in to reply

Dontais

Dontais

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I'm trying to find the disket for the dirvers for when i install my windows. I am using a A8N-SLI Delux MOBO and a WD Raptor Sata HDD. I was searching google but can't seem to find exlatly what im looking for and the one of the disk that came with the mobo don't work. Anyone have an idea?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You do not need to use a floppy disk to install the western digital raptor unless you want to install some type of Raid setup.

We need alittle more information. If your computer isnt recognizing the new harddrive its a Setting in your bios that is wrong more than likely, especially if your computer already had an ide harddrive installed and you now want to get the raptor serial ata drive to work as well.

SO thats why we need more information. Is this a new build or do you already have a harddrive in the pc and the pc was previously working.

Dontais

Dontais

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
When i go to install windows, it ask to press f6 to use any 3rd party software i use the raid driver that came with my mohtherboard but it dosn't detect the drive. My friend had a similar configuation he needed to find the raid driver from the net to allow his HDD to be detected on the install screen. I search for one for quit a bit and wasn't able to find any.

As for more information about the hard driver and the mother board the hard drive is a WD Raptor 37Gig Sata HDD and the Mother Board is a Nvidia Nforce A8N-SLI Delux with 4 sata openings. When i boot the machine it detects the HDD but dosn't not allow me to install windows as i already stated. I do have a IDE Drive in the machine but it will not affect this since i disabled it and set the Bios to allow the Sata and not read the IDE for the moment i will eventually use the old drive for storage.

Maybe this clears it out more, i hope, if you need anymore addition information let me know.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

When i go to install windows, it ask to press f6 to use any 3rd party software i use the raid driver that came with my mohtherboard but it dosn't detect the drive. My friend had a similar configuation he needed to find the raid driver from the net to allow his HDD to be detected on the install screen. I search for one for quit a bit and wasn't able to find any.

As for more information about the hard driver and the mother board the hard drive is a WD Raptor 37Gig Sata HDD and the Mother Board is a Nvidia Nforce A8N-SLI Delux with 4 sata openings. When i boot the machine it detects the HDD but dosn't not allow me to install windows as i already stated. I do have a IDE Drive in the machine but it will not affect this since i disabled it and set the Bios to allow the Sata and not read the IDE for the moment i will eventually use the old drive for storage.

Maybe this clears it out more, i hope, if you need anymore addition information let me know.

When it asks you for any 3rd party software you do not have to do anything there, you can simply skip that process completely.

Lets try this first...

Unplug any of your ide harddrives completely. Now make shure you connect your new western digital raptor harddrive up. Go into the bios and make shure that its picking it up inside of the bios. Check your serial ata drive options and make shure its enabled and setup with the right options in the bios menu. This menu differs in motherboards by name but its the one that will say something like Serial ata modes/options enhanced mode, auto, combined etc.... put it to auto for now...

press f10 and save the settings after you make shure you have your cd rom as bootup device #1.

put in your windows xp cd...

control alt delete or restart the machine and follow the instructions on setting up windows...

boot from cd of course... skip the 3rd party crap dont even pay attention to it... After it finishes Initializing then you get a setup F8 screen that means "I agree". So press F8 to continue.

Creat a partition on the western digital raptor harddrive and do a full format, then you will be able to setup windows xp...

that will get you onto windows with the raptor harddrive....

Now install your motherboard drivers and all the drivers that you need..

After that install your ide harddrive back up if you want it to be used in your computer or you said as a storage harddrive, that could mean that you want to make it a USB backup harddrive in a case... I dont know you weren't clear on it so whatever you decide..

The second harddrive will still have windows on it so its up to you if you want to keep the os on that one or if you want to reformat the ide harddrive..

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have setup many sata harddrives and Raptor sata harddrives aswell without having to put in a floppy disk at all.....

Dontais

Dontais

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I understand your a professional in this field and myself im just a newbie for hardware but heres where i am now:

Its not detecting the drives anymore i must of messed something up.
http://i55.photobuck...in/DSC00113.jpg

I went in and tried what your said but it seems like i set the wrong setting somewhere. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Dontais

Dontais

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I got it fixed up it wasn't reconizing the drive becuse i had the Sata cable in the wrong slot :whistling: thanks for your help anyway.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I got it fixed up it wasn't reconizing the drive becuse i had the Sata cable in the wrong slot :whistling: thanks for your help anyway.

lol, cool.

Did you get windows installed yet?

Dontais

Dontais

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yup, its all workign perfectly now thanks alot.