Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continuing Mouse Freeze

• Please log in to reply

grc

grc

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey gang,

I am accessing you (THIS time) via my "VGA Mode" (whatever the heck that is??). I posted on this a few days ago, but cannot find the reply (with potential solution[s] now (?).

It appears that about every third or fourth time I attempt to do anything on my PC, my mouse freezes (interspersed with times/periods of mouse availability/movement, but inability to select or click on anything). Then I am forced to reboot, often or usually in one "alternate mode" or another. Sometimes Safe Mode works, sometimes not - I find that THIS mode (VGA) often gets me going, though sometimes it seems I have to try them all several times to find something that "works". I found "Safe Mode with Networking" worked well once or twice - could this be because this was formerly a business-owned/operated computer (?), and could this also be the reason I seem to (I think?) have Configuration issues?

Any response(s) appeciated.

Thanks,
g ...

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
HERE is the page that shows all the topics you have started on this forum. Go through them and try what people have suggested you try.

Fenor

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

HERE is the page that shows all the topics you have started on this forum. Go through them and try what people have suggested you try.

Fenor

Dear "Fenor" -

I HAVE gone through ALL the topics of mine (AND some of others) that pertain to suggestions of potential help offered. I HAVE ALSO TRIED what has been "suggested" - some of it I have found not only LACKING - but PURE CRAP (to me at least that is. Anyway - some, two or three posts that quickly come to mind, actually shut my system down - repeatedly, so much so, or to the point that, I had to purge them from my system - I do realize though that there are sometimes compatibility issues - and this is the part where I will say; "thank you", again, and as I ALWAYS DO IN ADVANCE, to everyone who has genuinely helped, AND/OR attempted to help!).

Perhaps I am out of touch with the concept (or the entire ball of wax) here, but I have found that there are rarely "suggestions" (posed as such that is), but rather "do" this or "do" that - PERIOD.

Caveat'S not withstanding, I have always found SOME semblance of an E-X-P-L-A-T-I-O-N not only informative and TRULY helpful, but simple common courtesy.

A few of the folks here seem to have that Jimmy Fallin (Fallon?) (tech-support) character from SNL DOWN-PAT! (I realize that that is probably a compliment [ironically] in your world).

Have a great day!

g ...
ps - I will, once again (IN "VGA" Mode, and again, whatever the heck that is?), go through what has been "suggested" - and see if I can find anything that will actually address the ongoing issue(s) I am having with my system - thanks.

Edited by grc, 28 May 2006 - 09:21 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
First off, you have to UNDERSTAND that what people do here they do because they want to help others. We do not charge anything for the information and help that we provide. We do this because we like doing it. If you cannot see that, then that is your problem, not ours. If you do not understand the information that someone gives you, then say so and explain what you don't understand or what you think is "lacking." The level of the help that we can provide to users can only be as good as the information that is given to us by the person having the problem. We are not psychics and therefore cannot just magically know what is exactly going on in your system. You need to tell us that...

As for your problem, I would suggest that you try a different mouse. If you are using a ps/2 mouse, try a usb one and vice versa if you are using a usb mouse. I would also suggest that you update your video drivers. Updating your motherboard drivers would also be a good thing to do. If you don't know how to do this, then ask us and we will help you.

I would also suggest that you make sure that your computer is completely up-to-date with all Windows Updates (doing all the OPTIONAL updates as well minus the .NET Framework versions 1.1 and 2.0 since they are not needed).

If none of that works, I would try resetting your computers BIOS. How to do this is the following::
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST five minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
Fenor

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you Fenor.

I do, I honestly do, very much appreciate the time and trouble you folks put out/go to here - I try to reflect that, respectfully, in several different ways - none of which I will elaborate on.

Thank you again - your post is informative, helpful and courteous - I could not ask for more.

g ...

Edited by grc, 28 May 2006 - 09:34 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can ask for all the help you need. That's why we are here, but none of us will tolerate when someone belittles us and/or our site by saying alot of our information is "pure crap" or "lacking."

Fenor

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

You can ask for all the help you need. That's why we are here, but none of us will tolerate when someone belittles us and/or our site by saying alot of our information is "pure crap" or "lacking."

Fenor

No 'belittle-ment' of anyone intended (though I would offer a couple of suggestions for site lay-out - not that great effort [I am certain] has not been put forth or that it has not been well thought-out - just that I believe it could be more user-friendly - for any 'dinosaurs', such as myself, that may be out here). I also believe that it is obvious that I was trying to get attention out of frustration with your initial post to this topic. I had, as best I understood, followed the suggestions offered. The "crap" comment I made was also very clearly out-of-bounds (and I apologize for it), and what is MOST "lacking" is MY understanding of it ALL - again, from the mind of an isolated, solitary individual.

*Note: I did not say "a lot" of the information was anything - I said "some", and what I meant by "lacking" was "short" ... as in being left open to misinterpretation and/or confusion.

I sincerely apologize for coming-off as offensive.

g

Edited by grc, 28 May 2006 - 10:07 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Apology accepted. Now go ahead and try the things I suggested that you do and post back with how things are going after doing them.

Fenor