Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Does the average person

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I'm just curious if I really need a program that promises to fix my Registry? I have been having some problems with my pc freezing and some programs not responding, having to use task manager to kill them.

I don't think it's a spyware or virus problem because I have the following:All updated and ran regularly. Even went to Panda and TrendMicro:Housecall to do their scans online just to make sure and they each said they only found one adware that was low threat: FirstProductions Toolbar which Housecall removed.

NIS 2005
Ad Aware SE
SpyBot S&D
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard
Windows Defender
WinPatrol
CleanUp
HijackThis

But since I read that the Registry can be to blame for some of the problems I'm having I went to Download.com and chose one of the better recommended programs RegVac. I let it scan in Novice Mode after about a week it's found all together over 1000 bad entries.

Thing is, I have since had my pc freeze one time, so I'm wondering if it's even necessary to mess with the Registry. Could they have just been like false positives?

Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The freezing of your computer can have many reasons other than a registry problem. Start with the easy and obvious:

run diskcleaner
run disk defragmenter
run scan disk (My computer > right click on disk c: > properties > Tools > error checking > check now > check both options and let the computer run the scan. Be patient as it takes some time.

Regarding your question: I think that a registry cleaner and defragmenter is very important. I use Advanced System Optimizer which you can download for 30 days trial period. I run the file cleaner, registry cleaner and fixer and registry optimizer about once a month or after removing a program.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

The freezing of your computer can have many reasons other than a registry problem. Start with the easy and obvious:

run diskcleaner
run disk defragmenter
run scan disk (My computer > right click on disk c: > properties > Tools > error checking > check now > check both options and let the computer run the scan. Be patient as it takes some time.

Regarding your question: I think that a registry cleaner and defragmenter is very important. I use Advanced System Optimizer which you can download for 30 days trial period. I run the file cleaner, registry cleaner and fixer and registry optimizer about once a month or after removing a program.

Ok, I ran disk clean up, defragmenter, both went fine. But the disk check gave me the following message:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Is that what it's supposed to say?

Thanks for the advise on the Reg programs!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes, that is what it is supposed to say. When you get this message restart the computer and the checkdisk process will start automatically.