Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused with connections to motherboard.

• Please log in to reply

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hey All,

So I am finally taking the big step....ok my first little step in partially building a new pc. My current pc motherboard has finally given up the hope for any life..lol So I thouhgt I would start with a new build, I bought a very base motherboard and a new chassis for it.

The motherboard I purchased, I know isnt a high level but I wanted to start out cheap I guess you could say incase I really screw up lol.

I purchased a PC Chips FSB266 K7 Motherboard
The Chassis is a RaidMax Scropio 868.

I have read the instructions that came with the motherboard, but unfortunately I am having a hard time connecting the wires from the Scropio to the motherboard. In addition the Scorpio has 5 additional fans that I am unsure how to connect.

So far I have self taught most things I have replaced with help here and there and alot from here for other issues. But this time looking to one of my other pc's while I do it is not helping as the connectors appear different. I can attach the CPU, CPU Fan, the memory, VID Card, Network Card , the Drives and ROMS. But cannot completely grasp where the other fans attach or the LED, Reset, Power and such attach to. So guess what Im saying is I need a hand in understanding where to attach all the small wires and some pin info.

If anyone has a site that might show a close up of attached items or can talk me through attaching things to the motherboard that would be great.

Thanks in advance all :-)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Could you give us the exact model of motherboard please? It should be something like M8xxx

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Pc Chips makes many different kinds of K7 motherboards. What is needed to know for us to tell you what the wiring goes to is the model of the motherboard. Right now on newegg thare is a PC Chips M848A motherboard and a PC Chips 811 LU motherboard for Socket A processors. This is what is needed to find the specifications to look at to tell what wires goes where. On the current computer i'm building the wires from the power switch, power led, hd activity light, reset button all have a 2 wire plug that attaches to pins on the motherboard. Each pair of wires has what the wire connects to painted on the plug. If yours doe not have any printed letters on them you will have to trace the wires to where they go on the computer case. If you have a single plug for all the wiresyou will need to cut the wires and splice them into some plugs, or buy new switches and lights for the case. Directron.com is usually good to buy wiring from. Take a look at this page at directron.

http://www.directron...ystem-fans.html

The specifications document( usually a PDF) for the motherboard will tell you where they go. USB plugins, for the front usb ports, usually go to a different set of pins on the motherboard.

On the extra fans you can use Molex adapters as most motherboards have only 1 or 2 case fan plugin pin sets on the motherboard. The specifications sheet will tell you if there are any and their location on the MB.

http://www.directron...to4adapter.html

If you need any help just ask here and i will help you find what you want.

SRX660

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
"In addition the Scorpio has 5 additional fans that I am unsure how to connect."

Alot of PSU's will have connections coming off the power cords. My system has 7 additional fans in it and there are power connections for all of them.

which is your MB you might be able to find a more detailed pdf file with the pin out for the mb psu connections. K7 266 makes your mb sound kinda old. I built my system back in 2000 its running on a KT266 but the model is
SOYO Dragon 7 plus. easy to find info on it.

here is the link to pc chips.

http://www.pcchips.c...nuID=35&LanID=2

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
The full model for the motherboard is Model No: M811......VIA KT 266A/8235.

I figured it was an older one, but like I said I didnt want to start with something pricey also as we all know the pc gremlins never like to hit when you arent ready to invest deeply.

The biggest thing is, I would like to learn this and then turn around and buy better and bigger lol.

Reading through the info you all gave me and hope to attempt this again this evening.

Thanks all and anything else you might think of please let me know.
Quiqzal

Edited by Quiqzal, 28 May 2006 - 03:35 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Download the manual here.

http://www.pcchips.c...tailName=Manual

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The manual in the link SRX660 provided gives you a clear diagram of the front panel header, so this should make things easier for you.

Just remember the following things re. front panel connectors :
switches (ie power switch & reset switch) have no polarity. i.e you can connect them either way round.
LEDs DO have polarity so you need to get the ground & positive the right way round. As you will have probably noticed, front panel wiring rarely uses the tradition colour coding (black) for ground so it may not be obvious which is which. HDD LED wires are often red+black (so black is ground or negative) or they tend to be red+white (where white is ground/negative).

If you have problems then let us know what colour the wires are & we'll try and help you.

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Looks like Im catching on, it appears that my chassis has orange and white, red and white and two blue and white wires marked accordingly .

O&W: Power SW
R&W: HDD LED
B&W: Reset SW ( This one is loose in the case one end fits perfectly with two pins at the end the other loose end has a small square box with two rows. 1st row 3 pins and a second row with 1 pin) Been trying to figure out where this other end plugs into.

The mother board appears to be colored the same or so it looks from the manual I have and zooming in to the online manual provided in a post

I also have a Red and Black wire that I believe according to specs is the speaker wire. This wire appears to be the only one the motherboard doesnt match in color but it looks like it goes in the same area marked speaker.

I also have another blue and white wire and at the end of it there is a white 4 prong connector that only has 2 prongs in it, this one is not marked at all.

In addition I have two grey wires that are marked for the USB ....the only problem I am finding is that they are not made the way that it shows they should be attached to the mother board...in a 10 pin pattern with one missing.

What I have are two wires that have 4 vacant pins and one single one hanging from them marked.

VCC
USB2-
USB2+
Ground

Ground

VCC
USB1-
USB1+
Ground

Ground

Orginally before I posted thought I had the wires figured out till I came to these grey ones and the loose B&W wire, then thought I better cry for help.

Thank you all again

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On my ultra case the blue & white wires together are for the power-on LED. On my USB front plugs i have 2 5wire plugs. the wires are: red, white, green, black, and THICK black( second ground?). Each plug has the red wire at the #1 and #2 pins. My motherboard has the 9pins on a 10 pin block. I just put each 5 pin plugs on one side. On a older computer i have the computer speaker has the black and red wires on the 2 outside holes of a 4 pin plug. You will just have to try the wires on different pins but i think the 2 outside pins are used on the Mb connector.

I dont think you need the second black ground wires for the USB to work.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 29 May 2006 - 05:13 AM.

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
So got everything hooked up correctly, I think.

But went to give it a test and no power what so ever coming through even to the power supply fan.

Any thoughts out there?

Bad Power Supply on the new chassis?

Let me know your guys thoughts.

Thank you all so much for all the help so far

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing to check is the PS. Beg, borrow, or get a shop to loan you a PS with the correct connections for your computer(a 20 pin PS power connector wont work in a 24 pin connector on the MB). It doesnt matter if its only a 250 watt PS because all your checking is that the puter will boot up. No fans, lights, etc tells me its probably the PS. A bad Mb could also cause this.

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Firstly, I would disconnect the USB cabling that you wired up, just in case this causing a problem. Also, it's very important to get the USB correctly wired because it is a powered connection.

Secondly, check the front panel connector to the motherboard for the power switch. i.e make sure you have it connected to the correct pair of pins. Also check to see if your PSU has a on/off switch on the back of it. (I don't mean to sound patronising but this type of mistake is easily done.)

The front panel header should look like this :

If you look at the board the right way up, the front panel header will like this :

...o
o o
o o
o o
o o

So imagine it on it's side & you should have the power etc connected like this :

MSG PWR
|o o| |o o|
|o o| |o o| o
HDD RST N/C

N/C means 'not connected', so the last pin in the 5 pin row should not have anything connected to it.

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
you all have been great helps , with all the advise you gave me I think I had it installed finally but....

it appears the motherboard I purchased from Frys was bad as well as the case with powersupply.....what a surprise. I should know better by now but unfortunately only big provider of parts around.lol

So I am in search of a AMD 64 motherboard and cpu combo deal now, hoping to find a AGP compat. one as my ATI Card is AGP and not up for investing in a new one if I dont have to.

I bought a new chassis w/ powersupply 450 which one of their tech guys who is a gaming geek as well recommended *fingers crossed*

I am sure I will look back to all of this when I finally get the new items.

Any good rec's for a site/supplier for combo deals

or any other good advise for this student lol

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a few from tiger direct. The only problem i have with tiger direct is that they charge you sales tax. And don't buy the ultra products. They are the tigers store brand hardware and i think they cheapen them up somewhat.

http://www.tigerdire...ku=MBM-UL8-3200

http://www.tigerdire...9752&CatId=1181

http://www.tigerdire....asp?CatId=1734

Heres others to compare.

http://www.pricewatc...os/129475-1.htm

SRX660

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks so much SRX.

You and SAMM have been a great help. I am definetely taking a look at these and the Pricewatch site you sent me is offering free shipping cant beat that.......well free could lol

Thanks again and will keep you informed.