Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So, something HAS to be wrong with my computer.

• Please log in to reply

nick_mi

nick_mi

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Alright, I have a dell inspiron|1000

So, awhile ago my computer was having lots of problems, couldn't fix it so I reformatted. Well, I started playing games(mainly warcraft 3) and it would start running slow. Eventually my emulator(GBA) started running slow, and now even movies are running slow.

I don't know what's going on, my computer is clean, I believe it has something to do with my computer overheating. I used to always play it on the carpet, couch, etc(was always too poor to afford a desk :whistling:)

Anyways, I always noticed my computer would run fat when it's shut down and cooled off after I started it up. So I built a lapboard that has a strip across the back so it elevates my laptop(Who puts a fan on the bottom, honestly). So after vaccuming around the vents, and still no improvement, I brought out my laptop panel, because I was going to take off the cover and clean the fan inside(to no avail, way too many screws, and I didn't want to mess things up.) Well, while reading I learned that you're not supposed to leave your comp on when it's in it's breifcase. I've done that about 5 times over the course of my having this laptop.

So, what I am wondering is, is my laptop done for with gaming, or am I missing something?

Advertisements

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hey,

I have had this problem as well, I did not reformat, I simply removed all applications that could be re-installed again, as well I used "Tune-up Utilities 2006" and did a complete check. I also vaccumed around the vents, and I also removed the keyboard and vaccumed that area, as there can be a lot of dust gathering there.

Do you use any USB devices, if so how many, and how long at a stretch do you leave it on ?

What player do you to play movies, have you tried an alternative one ? Have you made any "Add-On's" to your player.

Aswell, you can reduce the brightness of the screen to reduce power usage.

You should also review the processes that are running and end any useless ones. I have notied that turning OFF my security measures while gaming helps a lot as that particular laptop is not designed for gaming.

Sahil

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
check to see whats running in the background.
start>run>type in msconfig press enter.
click startup.
uncheck garbage you dont want running in the background, this will free up system memmory and system resources. reboot, check the dont remind me of this everytime i restart or what ever it says in the popup box.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Hey,

I have had this problem as well, I did not reformat, I simply removed all applications that could be re-installed again, as well I used "Tune-up Utilities 2006" and did a complete check. I also vaccumed around the vents, and I also removed the keyboard and vaccumed that area, as there can be a lot of dust gathering there.

Do you use any USB devices, if so how many, and how long at a stretch do you leave it on ?

What player do you to play movies, have you tried an alternative one ? Have you made any "Add-On's" to your player.

Aswell, you can reduce the brightness of the screen to reduce power usage.

You should also review the processes that are running and end any useless ones. I have notied that turning OFF my security measures while gaming helps a lot as that particular laptop is not designed for gaming.

Sahil

Only thing I use in my USB is my mouse, and that's in there 24/7
No add ons, I use real video and media player.
I usually do delete everything, but it still runs choppy. It's like with my games it runs
fine---------------------VERY CHOPPY-----fine------------------VERY CHOPPY-------fine----------VERY CHOPPY

But that meakes it almsot unplayable.
And my laptop use to run everythign fine before, so it's not like it's always ran like crap. :blink:

As far as the msconfig. I need all of those up, or I have no clue what they are. :whistling:

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
If you dont know what they are dont touch them.

Yes, that is how it used to be for me aswell. You can get a trial version of Tune Up Utilities 2006

I have a USB mouse as well as Keyboard, and that does significantly heat it up. Also if you have a slot holder for a an external wireless adapter you should remove it.

Besides that I do not know what more can be done. What is your hard drive capacity and how much is being used?

Sahil

Edited by Sahil Bajaj, 28 May 2006 - 04:41 PM.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
No keyboard, just mouse. I have a plastic slip in there, but no actual chip.

37.2 gigs
23.4 used
13.7 open

Edited by nick_mi, 28 May 2006 - 04:48 PM.

Sahil Bajaj

Sahil Bajaj

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yup, thats what is supposed to be there. Remove that plastic slip, this will get some more air into the system, and run "Tune- Up Utilities 2006" software. Then restart your computer and see if there is any difference.

Sahil

Edited by Sahil Bajaj, 28 May 2006 - 04:53 PM.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
56k ftw

Only another 28 minutes if it keeps downloading at this pace :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like one of two things Heat or Hard drive failure, hard drive failure seems the most likely and obvious the symptoms fit well, run the chkdsk utility see if it picks up errors, But sounds like a hard drive fault and as you reinstalled the OS its unlikely to be anything "soft".

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
durring POST (Power On Self Test) hold down the cntrl key(it could be Alt, i dont remember) and press D. it will launch the dell HDD diag utility. if the hdd is bad it will give you a return code. call dell at 888-560-8324 and give them the return code. they will replace the hdd if its still under waranty.

Edited by startechie, 28 May 2006 - 05:54 PM.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
So, I had to get offline, thus the download was kille,d downloading it again now.

How much will a hardrive run me and cost to be installed?

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
k so I did the chkdsk thing
It did stage 1 100%
Stage 2, it went to like 90%, then deleted like 4 things, and completed at 100%, then either didn't do stage 3 or closed so fast I didn't see the results.

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
you can probally find price info on replacement hdd's for your dell laptop here. the hdd is considered
to be a CRU. (customer removable unit) I think there are about 4 screws in the hdd cover. and it pops right out. so you could easily replace it youself.

http://search.dell.c...placement parts

Dell Inspiron 1000
user guide

http://www.support.d...ystems/ins1000/

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Allso you can boot to the Dell resource cd and run dell diags in a DOS enviroment and have it run a full system check or pick hard disk drive.