Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPod Help!

• Please log in to reply

mattiscool

mattiscool

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a 20gb (18.5 really) Ipod, with 2700 songs on it. I only have like 2 gbs left. The thing says i Should have 5000 songs..but More importantly, my friend has the same ipod, and 2400 songs, and he has 13 gbs left..most of my files are .mp3/.mp4..What can i do to get more space?

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I have a 20gb (18.5 really) Ipod, with 2700 songs on it. I only have like 2 gbs left. The thing says i Should have 5000 songs..but More importantly, my friend has the same ipod, and 2400 songs, and he has 13 gbs left..most of my files are .mp3/.mp4..What can i do to get more space?

Hi mattiscool,

The 5000 songs thing is a marketing blurb. It really depends on the quality of the files you are listening to, and at 5000 songs it wouldn't be all that flash. This is usually expressed as the sampling rate in terms of kbps (kilo-bits per second). The higher this rate the better the sound quality. So the fact that your friend has so much more room simply means that he values quantity over quality. If you want more songs on your ipod you'll need to reduce the sampling rate quality (thus file size in MB). You can do this with a number of audio applications, some of which are free.

Otherwise you might just want to listen to the same song on your ipod and your friends and see if the lower bitrate is good enough for you before you downgrade your audio file resolution.

Digikiwi

BTW for ipod specific stuff you'll find most of your questions have already been answered on the Ipod forum on apple's site

http://discussions.a...?categoryID=146

or

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/

mattiscool

mattiscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
hey thanks alot! :whistling: