Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Control Panel is Missing Tabs

• Please log in to reply

terminator885

terminator885

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I right click the Desktop and click on properties, the Display Control Panel appears but with no tabs. I an unable to access the applets Desktop, Screensaver, Settings etc . I have tried editing the registry entries at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System by verifying the Value Data was set to 0 rather than 1 in "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", etc. Also tried downloading and merging the reg file fixtabs.zip file as suggested by wannabe1 in response to another post by hehadeve on May 5, 2006. These didn't fix the problem and I can't find any registry tweaks that seem to work either. May be unrelated but recently I had trouble with the XP defrag utility after installing Disk Keeper Lite. After uninstalling Disk Keeper, I was unable to see some elements in XP's defrag panel. Also, sometimes when I click on the explorer.scf shortcut in Quick launch I get a "no program associated with this file" error (the explorer.exe shortcut in Quick Launch works fine). All of these problems seem to have happened around the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by terminator885, 28 May 2006 - 07:22 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi terminator885...

Navigate to the following Registry key and click on "System" in the left pane. List everything in the right pane for me.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

wannabe1

terminator885

terminator885

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, wannabe1

As you requested the right panel of that registry key is as follows:

NoDispAppearance Page
NoDispBackgroundPage
NoDospCPL
NoDispScrSavPage
NoDispSettingsPage

The Value Data are all DWords and the values are all 0.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is there a (Default) string?

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

terminator885

terminator885

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, there is. It has a blank for Value Data.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on "System" in the left pane and choose "Export". Save this key to the Desktop...name it sysbu.reg

Once you have done that, delete all the entries in the right pane except (Default). Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Any change?

terminator885

terminator885

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No change. I still only get the Themes applet with no tabs.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmm...

Let's fix the shortcut problem and see if that has something to do with it. See if you are able to do the following:

Right-click "Start", and choose "Open". Double-click "Programs". Right-click "Windows Explorer" or "Windows NT Explorer" (if this is not found, double click on "Accessories" to see if either is located there), click "Properties", and then click the "Shortcut" tab. In the Target box, rename explorer.scf to explorer.exe (from %SystemRoot%\explorer.scf to %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe), and then click "Ok".

Have a look at posts 16 and 17 in This Topic.

terminator885

terminator885

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I found the Windows Explorer.exe under Programs/Accessories. The target box under properties already shows "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe". That may be a dead end. I did look at posts 16 and 17 under the thread you suggested. I downloaded the WindowsShell.xml file and copied it to my C:\Windows directory and I performed a search to locate the comctl32.dll file which I did not find on my hard drive. I did locate that file at http://www.dll-files.com, and I downloaded it and unzipped it to C:\Windows\System32 and rebooted. Still no tabs.