Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer starts but monitor doesn't!?!?!?!?

• Please log in to reply

Sikmachine

Sikmachine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hello,

when ever i start my computer up now, it doesn't seem to work. after pressing the power button the computer itself turns on fine. i can hear the fans running and it sounds normal. but my monitor will not show anything. it is just black with the power lights blinking. i have tried to switch the monitor out but it still has the same problem. i asked a friend of mine and he said that it sounds like the video card. well i had a hercules 3d prophet 4000xt which i switched out for what i have now, an ati radeon 9550 (agp). the sound is not working either, when it is supposed to play the windows theme, it doesnt (even though i can't see anything on the monitor) i am not sure what is causing the problem but hopefully you guys can help me out.
here are some computer specs if it helps:
-originally hercules 3d prophet 4000xt video card (now an ati radeon 9550) agp
-256mb ram (just tried adding 512mb)
-pentium 4 1.6ghz

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It sounds like the system isn't booting up past the POST test. The reason for the lack of sound is due to the fact that Windows isn't even starting to load - hence no startup tune.

Normally when you power a computer on you should hear a single beep a few seconds after pressing the power button. Do you hear this beep or not?

Also, do your keyboard lights (CAPS LOCK/NUM LOCK/SCROLL LOCK) flash once just after after powering on?

Sikmachine

Sikmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
no there is no sound whatsoever after startup, i can only hear the fans. also when i do turn on the computer the lights on the keyboard do indeed flash once

startechie

startechie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
When you first turned on the pc before, did you notice that it made a beep sound. durring the bios screen usually when it says to press delete to enter setup? sometimes 2 beeps to indicate that post was completed.
When you power on the system now, does the power light flash (on the pc not the monitor) if so, what color. green flashing usually indicates s3 mode while flashing yellow could be bad psu, cpu memmory, etc.
who is the oem of the pc or did you build it yourself.

Sikmachine

Sikmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

When you first turned on the pc before, did you notice that it made a beep sound. durring the bios screen usually when it says to press delete to enter setup? sometimes 2 beeps to indicate that post was completed.
When you power on the system now, does the power light flash (on the pc not the monitor) if so, what color. green flashing usually indicates s3 mode while flashing yellow could be bad psu, cpu memmory, etc.
who is the oem of the pc or did you build it yourself.

the light on the pc just stays a constant green, like it usually does nothing out of the ordinary except there are no beeps at all coming from the computer. my friend just replaced the power supply on it about 3 months ago too so i dont think that would be it? plus we did have it built custom

Edited by Sikmachine, 29 May 2006 - 11:45 AM.

PE-Steve

PE-Steve

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

After reading your post I have decided to signup because I've had this problem multiple times. You need a new motherboard. I'm not exactly sure what happens to it, although it's either fried or something else happens. I've already gone through 3 motherboards this way and can almost guarantee 100% that this is a motherboard issue.

I'm actually on my 4th right now, heh...

Good luck,
Steve.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G PE-Steve.

Silkmachine - PE-Steve may well be right, this can indicate a mobo failure. HOWEVER, I have been repairing & building PCs for nearly 10 years now & have come across the symptoms you described on many occasions.

All the symptoms mean is that the system is not completing the POST test. This could be caused by any number of things, not just the motherboard.

Can you please try the following steps. You must follow these instructions carefully. If there is anything you do not fully understand, ask before attempting it...

1. Disconnect the external power lead & open up the case. Please wear an anti-static band or discharge your static by touching a metal surface before attempting the next step.

2. Disconnect the main (20 pin or 24pin) ATX connector from the motherboard. This is the big one that connect the PSU to the board.

3. Either remove the cmos battery (silver round 3V battery), wait a minute or two, then reinsert it. Make sure its the right way up. OR locate the clear cmos jumper & set the jumper to clear (usually pins 2-3). Wait 30 secs, then return jumper to original position. The clear cmos jumper is normally the one nearest the battery.

4. Disconnect any USB devices you may have, especially USB hubs. If you have a USB keyboard, leave this connected.

5. Reconnect the ATX power connector, then power the system up.

If the problem still exists & you still have no display, let me know. If you hear any beeps, let me know.

BTW - no disrespect intended PE-Steve, but if you replace the motherboard every time you experience these types of symptoms, then I'm not surprised you are on your 4th board already!

PE-Steve

PE-Steve

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not the only one that replaces it, Leadtek and Gigabyte also have, everytime. They also report the motherboard as being defective.

Edited by PE-Steve, 08 June 2006 - 07:09 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I'm not the only one that replaces it, Leadtek and Gigabyte also have, everytime. They also report the motherboard as being defective.

Hmmm, Gigabyte. That explains a lot then!

Seriously though, even if all the boards are actually defective, I think I would be considering whether another piece of hardware is responsible for the failures, the PSU or front USB ports, for instance. If not, then I guess you've just been extremely unlucky :whistling:

PE-Steve

PE-Steve

• Pip
  • 3 posts

If not, then I guess you've just been extremely unlucky :whistling:

What can I say... I carry it with me. :blink:

Gigabyte has actually held up perfectly fine for me (besides when my PSU was responsible for burning the mobo).

The DIY Person

The DIY Person

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I Have The Same Proplem Only It Doesnt Beep But The Lights On The Keyboard Flash Once.

I Did Try Samm Suggestion But No Luck.

How Can I Sort This Proplem now?