Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

avi to CD-R

• Please log in to reply

dencol

dencol

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Could anyone please tell me how to burn a 700 Mb .avi file (using nero 6) to a CD-R without having to use 2 discs. I can burn it as a data disc but that can't be played on a DVD player. I wanna be able to keep it on 1 disc that can be played on DVD players. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using CDR because there isn't a DVD writer

Have you clicked make movie, added the file to the timeline then clicked export and checked the file size in NeroVision / exported video folder

dencol

dencol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes I am using a CDR because I don't have a DVD writer .

When using Nero I click on make a video CD, add the .avi file (disabling the menu options) and nero starts encoding the file. However after the encoding is done, the 700 MB file is somehow expanded to around 1000 MB so it can't be put on a CDR. This seems to be the reason why I am not able to fit the .avi file on a CDR because the file size does not remain the same anymore.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
At the top of Nero does the box have CD / DVD

dencol

dencol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes it does. It is a pull down menu with CD/DVD, CD and DVD in it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start smart, set it with CD / DVD at the top, 4th from left is photo and video, hold the cursor over that, click make your own DVD Video, click make movie, click blue spyglass, click browse, locate the AVI file, click open, click blue + to add it to the timeline, click export, name it, click export, when it has run this, look for the file in NeroVision, exported video folder, look at the file size

If the quality is not as good as you like, repeat the above until it is in the timeline, click more, click video options, click DVD Video, set the encoding mode to high quality 2 passes, click OK, click yes if it ask if you want this to be the default, click export, check the file size and quality

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Can you make a VCD with that program?

If it doesnt work try ulead dvd movie factory 2, 3 or 4. www.download.com you can get a free trial.

Select VCD if you are using a CD burner.

You may find that VCD's dont play on some DVD players.