Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD DVD'S

• Please log in to reply

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
will you buy HD DVD's? i dont think they are going to get very popular. i thnk many people will stick to normal DVD's. what do u think?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ill buy whatever wins the war if there isnt an option, but i dont buy stuff ladened with DRM crap.

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
You probably won't have much choice once HD-DVD or Blu-Ray wins the war.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
how many years will it take for them to win though.

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

how many years will it take for them to win though.

Probably not long. A lot of industry experts think Sony has another Betamax on their hands with Blu-Ray.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
yea i suppose. but i still think blu ray will take awhile to win

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Blu-ray is technically the superior format but it has to much inbuilt DRM for my liking so does HD DVD but its not as aggresive as Blu-ray. But there are way around DRM i usually keep backups of films and DVDs whereever i get em so i strip out the DRM and region conding to make my life easier, i also dont buy games with aggresive DRM either as a point and a very effective one when your customer base is highly communicative you would be surprised how quickly companies strip off DRM, the game industry has learned that a couple of times, and if it wasnt for the MPAA and there buddues the movie and music industry would understand that as well.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Probably not long. A lot of industry experts think Sony has another Betamax on their hands with Blu-Ray.

just as a comment on that....betamax is/was a better technology than VHS...MUCH better....sony just didn't market it properly...if they hard marketed it correctly...you wouldn't be able to find a vhs tape on the planet...they'd all be betamax....so you may be correct...if they don't kick their marketing engine into full gear for blu-ray...they might once again lose market share while a superior technology basks in obscurity

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

just as a comment on that....betamax is/was a better technology than VHS...MUCH better....sony just didn't market it properly...if they hard marketed it correctly...you wouldn't be able to find a vhs tape on the planet...they'd all be betamax....so you may be correct...if they don't kick their marketing engine into full gear for blu-ray...they might once again lose market share while a superior technology basks in obscurity

Believe me, I agree. It's almost the same situation now with HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is technically superior, but it seems that any media format that Sony backs ends up failing miserably. Look at UMD discs for PSPs. Sony recently announced that there won't be any more movies on UMDs, because no one was buying them.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sony has only had one succesful media that i can remember and that was minidisks and even those they never took off on pre recorded formats, they were popular as blank mediums but that was about it.

Blu-ray may do that as well its huge capacities will make it a good medium for backups if they can improve the write speed and drive cost. But i agree unless they get a bit of hussle on the marketing they wont win, same thing goes for the ps3. Sony really need to fire there markettin department they have a bad attitude and by allappearances are totally incompetent, they would do better at marketting if they replaced the whole department with a bunch of bums off the street.

Advertisements

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Minidiscs were hardly popular here. When CD Burners became cheap, Minidiscs disappeared.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll agree with VKW on that one....by the time i saw a MD drive (and the respective media) at a decent price...cdr and cdrw had already become the standard

daniel_c

daniel_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
and who would want to spen $50 or so on a 30gb or more DVD?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the same people who were wililng to spend $1500 for the first dvd player...

daniel_c

daniel_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
yea i suppose