Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet another chkdsk/defrag question

• Please log in to reply

jamiebee

jamiebee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I tried doing a Disk Defragment I get this error:

Disk Defragmenter Has Detected Chkdsk is scheduled on the volume (c:).
Please Run Chkdsk /f.

When I Run This I get:

Chkdsk cannot be run because it is being used by another process. Would you like to schedule this item to be checked the next time the system restarts (Y/N).

I type Y and then I hit enter and restart my computer but it still won’t work.

I then tried the steps of help suggested by wannabee 1 in several posts.

The query for C: did come back as dirty.

However I then get:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot open volume for direct access
Windows has finished checking the disk

I don’t have Spyware Doctor or ZoneAlarm.

I use Norton Internet Security and AOL 9.0 (I did not install anything "extra" from AOL) I have snail-paced dialup.

My Computer is a Sony Vaio PCV-RX752 - their help & support so far leaves much to be desired. They tell me to use my Setup Disk to get a Recovery Console, but I don't have any disk marked "Setup" I have 2 Application Recovery CD's and 3 System Recovery CD's. Neither Disks 1 of those has gotten me any Recovery Console. I get an error message on the System Recovery CD, which I forgot to write down, but says something like it can't continue because of partitions and have to reboot. Sorry I didn't copy it all down.

:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, if it asks for a CD, load any of the system recovery CD's until it continues the scan

jamiebee

jamiebee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, if it asks for a CD, load any of the system recovery CD's until it continues the scan

Okay, I just tried that. Windows File Protection ran and finished. Nothing interesting happened. No prompts or errors. Still can't defrag.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jamiebee...

Open Registry Editor (Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok") and, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, and click on Session Manager.

In the right pane, what is the value listed under the "Data" column for BootExecute? (Be exact, please)

wannabe1

jamiebee

jamiebee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi jamiebee...

Open Registry Editor (Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok") and, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, and click on Session Manager.

In the right pane, what is the value listed under the "Data" column for BootExecute? (Be exact, please)

wannabe1

The value under Data is: autocheck autochk /k:C*

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double-click BootExecute and change the Value Data to autocheck autochk *...click "Ok". Close Registry Editor.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Please note the spaces in the following commands.)
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default)
  • chkntfs /c C: ..... (This will allow checking drive C:)
  • fsutil dirty query c: ..... (This queries the drive and will most likely tell you that it is dirty)
  • chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Now reboot again and see if you are able to run the Defragmenter application.

wannabe1

jamiebee

jamiebee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry Wannabe 1, no luck.

I went through your steps carefully. First time no chkdsk started. So I started over. Second time, it started but stopped with the following:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot open volume for direct access
Windows has finished checking the disk

The Boot Execute value now reads:

autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
autocheck autochk /k:C *

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double click on BootExecute. Delete both of the values in the Value Data field. The Data Value field should be empty in the right pane. Then type autocheck autochk * and click "Ok". Close Registry Editor.

Reboot. If chkdsk tries to run on boot, let it.

Once the machine is back to Windows, check the value for BootExecute. Is it still as you set it before restarting? (autocheck autochk *)