Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple Problem

• Please log in to reply

bigbadgav

bigbadgav

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So Im a sook, just got new system and cant get the screen saver to turn on. changed and saved everything i can think of . PLease help Me !

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bigbadgav...

Open Registry Editor (Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".) In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Control Panel, and click on Desktop. In the right pane, what is the value (under the Data column) for "ScreenSaveActive"?

wannabe1

bigbadgav

bigbadgav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
screen save active data = 1

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

So Im a sook, just got new system and cant get the screen saver to turn on. changed and saved everything i can think of . PLease help Me !

Out of curiosity, what steps were you taking/doing to get your screensaver to work?

Ron

bigbadgav

bigbadgav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
display properties, select screensaver and choose one then apply & OK

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm sure all the screensavers are installed in the Windows/System32 folder under *.scr extension. After selecting one, doe it even show in the little PC window before you click Apply? Does it display trying the Preview button at all?

Try going start/run/msconfig and looking through the startup tab and unticking any program .exe that you think should not be running unless the program was in use and then going back to the general tab and clicking selective start up and rebooting to see if that .exe was the problem.

Ron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type services.msc, and click "Ok". Scroll down to and double click on "Human Interface Device Service". What is the status in the "Startup Type" menu field?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
(i'd say i'm sorry to butt in but...you guys know i'm not)...what happens when you press the "preview" button when you're setting the screensaver up? how long is it set to wait till it comes on? (i spent 3 days trying to figure out a similar issue by phone with my mom only to realize that she wasn't waiting long enough for the thing to initialize...as the windows default is 10 minutes)

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Is this your own personal home machine or one at work? If at work, you may not have sufficient rights to change your screensaver because of policies in place by the tech support unit.