Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing or damaged hal.dll error message?

• Please log in to reply

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I tried to get onto the comp yesterday, and it said this (or something very similar)
Winnt_root\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:

Please re-install a copy of the above file.
I tried following these steps,

(found on about.com)
In situations where it has become damaged, either from virus activity or hardware failure, it may be necessary to replace it with an undamaged copy. Here are the steps necessary to replace the hal.dll file with an undamaged copy from the Windows CD:

As above, insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.) If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.
Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

The installation is stalling, won't complete. Could their be a virus on board? I had JUST scanned with everything. The comp had been running pretty slow. It was my dads. He cleaned it all out then we put my old hard drive on it as well, as a second hard drive. Ive had it a few months, and other than being pretty slow, it worked fine.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Shilo :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi meremoongirl...

This error can be a bit touchy to fix sometimes...and it's not always caused by the hal.dll file at all. A corrupt boot.ini file will also generate this error. Let's start by making sure the boot.ini is in good shape.

Boot with the XP cd and enter Recovery Console as you did before.

At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list and press "Enter" to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file. At this point you may get a message telling you that the boot.ini file does not exist. The next step will correct this error.

Type bootcfg /rebuild and press "Enter" to repair it. This will scan your hard dives for installations of Windows XP, 2000 or NT and display the results. Follow the on-screen instructions to add your Windows installations to the boot.ini file. Those step will be:
  • Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
    (1) C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    At this point, type Y and press "Enter".
  • Enter Load Identifier
    This is the name of the operating system.
    Type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (or Pofessional
    Edition if you have Pro installed) and press "Enter".
  • Enter OS Load options
    When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press "Enter".
Note: The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

Take out the cd, type exit, and press "Enter". The machine should try to boot to the Windows installation you chose.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thank you so much for the quick response. :whistling:
I had used the XP disk to boot up, and had tried a repair from the disk, but it stalled out at 33%.each time I turn on the comp, it goes back to try to complete the installation. But it won't go past 33%.
I tried your suggestion, because I found it on the net. The only variation was that
I did not do the bootcfg /list first. I merely went directly to the
bootcfg /rebuild.
It all went as you stated, but then, upon rebooting, it still tries to finish installing the xp disk. I took the disk out, but it wont do anything, just tells me to insert the disk.
Is there a way I can cancel the disk installation from the beginning and just try the bootcfg /repair again?

Edited by meremoongirl, 29 May 2006 - 09:11 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can bypass the setup and continue...please do so. We can eliminate that problem once the machine is running.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, Im not sure how to bypass the set up. It just starts up once the computer is going. It gives me no options except for "insert disk" if i've taken it out.

Edited by meremoongirl, 29 May 2006 - 09:42 PM.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Okay, I put the cd in, did the first part, when I did the bootcfg /list, it came up
2 identified
1)Microsoft Windows XP Professional
os load options /fast detect
os location c:\Windows

2) Microsoft Windows XP Professional
os load options : /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
os Location c:Windows.

I don't know if I should have done this or not, but I went ahead with the bootcfg /repair. Last time i did this, I did not take out the cd. so im thinking maybe this will stop it from wanting to install?
Ill be checking here every few minutes to see what you say. Thanks again for your time and effort.

Edited by meremoongirl, 29 May 2006 - 09:48 PM.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
hmm. well, I did it. I entered /fastdetect, hit enter, then tried to take out the CD before exiting, but it wont spit it out.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was afraid of that. This makes things a little more difficult, but we should be able to get past the hurdle. When you get back to the command prompt, type edit boot.ini, and press "Enter". Does this bring up the boot.ini file for editing?

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
after it asks me which version and password, i entered edit boot.ini and it says "command is not recognized"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were you running a repair installation when it hung?

Advertisements

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yes, last night, I ran a repair installation, and it hung at 33min til completion. Since then, when I tried it, it was the same. Wouldnt go past "33 min remaining".
Then, this morning I tried the method you mentioned, But upon rebooting it just wanted to install still. I thought perhaps that trying it with taking the cd out before exiting would be good, but of course, like i mentioned, the PC wouldnt give it up.

Edited by meremoongirl, 29 May 2006 - 10:19 PM.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Tucking in kids, back within 5 min.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's see if we can get the repair to complete.

Disconnect all the periferals connected to the machine. The only things we want connected is the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. If your mouse and/or keyboard are USB, be prepared to disconnect them, as well, a little later on in the installation.

Let the setup continue (with the cd in the drive). If you are using a USB keyboard and/or mouse, as soon as you get past any input prompts and no longer need them, disconnect them. Once XP has finished installing hardware and moves on to the next step (Finalizing Installation...I think), plug the mouse and keyboard back in.

If the mouse and keyboard are PS2 (round connectors) you'll not have to disconnect them.

Let me know if this allows the repair installation to complete or if it still hangs at 33 minutes.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
well, i unplugged the mouse. keyboard isnt usb. It hung at 39 minutes for ten minutes, now it is at 34, i guess ill just watch and see. (thanks once again for your quick and friendly replies)
Oh, quick thought. Should my internet/router be unplugged?

Edited by meremoongirl, 29 May 2006 - 10:50 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll wait and see on the router. A 33 or 34 minute hang is almost always caused by hardware...the more you have disconnected, the less chance there is for the hang. :whistling:

Has the installation progressed any?