Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing or damaged hal.dll error message?

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
yeah i think thats the best thing to do. :whistling:

Advertisements

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Okay, my 17year old is home and i am going to supervise (give emotional support to) him while he attempts to switch them. It may sound lame but he is much more comp savvy than I.
So, Wannabee, any input or advice for the switch will be good. Hopefully Windows will install.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay...I had to shut down for a bit while an electrical storm blew through.

First, let's set the old drive as the Primary Master and see if we can boot to the OS already installed there.

Open the case and locate the old drive...it will probably be connected to the center position on the ribbon (IDE) cable with the new drive on the end of the cable. Disconnect (carefully) both the power and ribbon cables from the old drive. There will be jumper pins on the rear of the drive between the Ribbon Connector and the Power Connector. If you know the make and model of the drive (at least the make) we can dig up the jumper settings to make it Master. Let me know what kind of drive you have...if you know.

Note: Unplug the machine from the wall and always make sure to touch a metal part of the case before reaching inside...Static is NOT our friend here.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
The drives have the settings written right on them.
So, first we will go into the case, disconnect the power and ribboion cables from the old drive, and change the jumper settings to make it the master.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Exactly right.

Then you'll want to disconnect the new drive and connect that IDE cable to the old drive and plug the power connector in. Leave the other drive disconnected for the moment.

Power the machine on and see if it will boot to that version of windows. I'm not holding my breath on this one, though it would be nice if it started. :whistling:

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
IDE cable. do you mean the ribbon? Son is setting the pins for the master, and now we just change the ribbon and plug thingy?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes... :whistling:

This is the drive we're going to fire up. Your data is safely on the other drive, right?

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yes, the data is on the other drive.
(if they are still there)
Well, old drive says , cannot start because it needs a hal.dll. so we will do a clean installation of windows on this disk and see if it goes, then see if we can access the other drive and put our documents onto this drive,
THEN
switch them around again, do a clean install on the newer drive and put the files back on the newer drive.

Edited by meremoongirl, 30 May 2006 - 05:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You go girl! :whistling: That's exactly right.

Will we be using a full retail version cd for reinstalling, or a recovery cd?

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
YEs its the actual gold disk that it came with. Licensed etc.

Advertisements

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Just finished entering the license key

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Once this is all completed and I ahve the documents on the new hard drive again, should I wipe out the second har drive, partition it or whatever it is called, so that there is not two Windows OS systems?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's just leave it on there for now...it shouldn't be a problem and it may come in handy again. Just don't activate this installation. We'll activate the one on the new drive.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Activate? Ok, so after this installation is done. We will reconnect the new hard drive, and just move files. Then we will change them back again.... do the new installation. So we dont need to activate the windows on the old drive in order to transfer stuff?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...we're just going to "borrow" this installation...we'll only activate the one you'll be actually using. The install you are doing now will make a great source for replacement files later...should you ever need them.

Before connecting the other drive, you'll need to set the jumper on it to "Slave" and connect it to the ribbon the old drive was originally connected to.