Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing or damaged hal.dll error message?

• Please log in to reply

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Sounds great.
:whistling:

Advertisements

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
hooking up newer drive as slave.
Clean install went great on old drive.
Had to quickly unplug of course, as I forgot about the fact that my antivirus would be gone.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What Anti-virus were you using?

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have been using Anti-Vir. I have found it to be great and effective. Especially the newest free version, as it even updates automatically.
I was also using Ewido, Ad-Aware, A squared, Spy-bot... and i think that's all.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ill be abck in about a half hour and let you know how its going. B/f is home and would probably like to go on his comp and check email setc. Ive been monoploizing it the past few days. :whistling:

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Question
We didnt do the remove partition/partition drive/ slow format thing on the old drive. I was told before by my dad that we should do that to wipe out everything.
When we do the clean install on the new drive (after we switch them back) should we do the whole shebang- partition deleting and all?
And should we leave the old drive disconnected while switch the drives and do the install on the new drive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, we'll want to delete all partitions and use the full format option.

You'll wand the new drive set as master and cabled just as it was when we started. Do the "Whole Shebang" thing to it. Once Windows has been installed, jumper the old drive as slave and connect it as it was before. You should then be able to recover the files and move them back to the new drive.

I'm sure we'll have some tuning up to do, but that should put you back with a clean, stable system on a good drive.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
so far so good, only thing is that my older drive was really small, so not everything will fit, lol.
But ok, so... we will do the new installation on the newer drive, (with it as master) remove/delete partition,
and slow format. THEN delete any copies on the old drive. to save up space.
I think it may just be working!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll know as soon as you start installing Windows on the new drive. The Hardware Abstraction Layer (hal) are among the first files loaded to the hard drive.

Actually, this is usually a pretty effective technique. It eliminates a lot of the usual hurdles and, with you having to setup processes trying to run on boot, it's probably also the best option to get the machine running right again.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I realized that we did not delete/remove partition on the old drive before doing a clean install. Is that ok?
We will do it on the newer drive before installing, but my son did the install before i had a chance to tell him to delete the partition etc.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's ok...we're just hitching a ride with that drive for the moment. Once we get your files back where they belong, we can format the old drive for data storage if that's what you want to use it for.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
well, we are in the process of putting the old files back. just gotta see if windows will be kind enough to install on the new drive again.
Closer today than i was yesterday!
So, in order to wipe out the older drive, IF I was wanting to do that. How would I do that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To format the older drive could be as easy as opening My Computer, right clicking on the drive, and choosing "Format" from the menu.

If you have problems opening your files or moving them, let me know...we may have to take ownership in order to access them properly.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
cool, just waiting on the installation.
So far so good :whistling:!!!

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Wow
I cant believe how absolutely wonderful you've been.
I have successfully saved all my documents.
Things are running great, I'm just putting everything in its place.
Thank you SOOOO much.
I am sure the rest will go smoothly. My dad called me and he was surprised that I got it all running again. I told him, "Hey, it was only possible thanks to Wannabe1 at Geeks to Go!!! "
I can't express how much it means to me that there are fine people liek yourself out there that take the time to help. LAst year, my b/f's comp was messed up thanks to Smitfraud. And that was the first time I found my way here.
*BIG HUGS!!!