Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting everything on computer

• Please log in to reply

orenji

orenji

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I got a virus on my computer so I've decided to delete everything and reinstall windows again.
All of my important files will probably be erased too, and I've tried everything to transfer, save, burn it but with no avail.
Anyways, that's not my big problem.
I'm going to reinstall windows XP, and during the process it gave me a couple of choices to delete Partitions

"The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitionaed space on this computer.

-: Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB < 39MB free>
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 33840 < 10114 MB free>
E: Partition3 [FAT32] 4259 < 425 MB free>
F: Partition4 [New <Raw>] 8 MB < 7MB Free>

I tried using Partition4 but it said it was too small or something. I have no clue what I'm doing.. so can you please please pleaseeeee help me if you can! :blink: :whistling:
Thank you.

Edited by orenji, 29 May 2006 - 03:35 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have one harddrive with four partitions.

the first is probably a hidden partition that is used for system recovery, the second is the main part, that was probably called the c: drive, the 3rd appears to be another partition that might have been used for drivers? Not sure? The fourth is just slack space--don't worry about it

How many drives are shown when you are windows?

Are you certain that you really want to reinstall? It is rarely necessary.

orenji

orenji

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know what else to do.. because my internet's not working anymore.. and.. I dunno.. I'm bad with computers.
I just need to know which one is safest to delete and restart.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you beleive you have been infected with malware, you should try the malware forum first and try and save the isntallation you have--if you really want to reinstall from scratch, knowing that requires that we know what you have to reinstall windows with? A Windows XP retail disc? A recovery disc from the PC manufacturer?