Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello,
i have a problem with my flash drive. Its a kaser 2.2gb jumbo drive that worked fine for 6 months. Then all of the sudden last week it started acting real funny. Wanting to know if anyone else would have a clue what may be causing this and possiblities on fixing it.
-I can't delete copie move or edit any files on it unless its doing the autoplay (uploading the information to the computer)
-i ahve tried it on all types of computers, xp, me, USB 2.0, USB 1.1. Same problem
-the message that i recieve when i try to do somehting with the files after the autoplay say the following
E:\"name of folder or file" is not accessible
the device isn't ready

I ahve waited for an hour and its never ready to do anything
:whistling: any idea's because i'm fresh out :blink:
thanx
James

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Do you need the files from it?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
nope they can all disapear, i just want it to work again.
thanx
James

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Do you guys not have 12 months warranty on products in Canada? My second flash drive behaved similarly after it got caught in the car door :whistling: (No warranty that time). It sounds like it is stuffed (without presuming to be an expert on flash drives :blink: ).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
canada has the same about of warrenties and such as you would be able to locate any where else in the world. I can't do so because like i have already mentioned i have thrown out my perchase case and recept because i thought i was good to go after 5 months. Even if this was the case i need it asap. Also this wouldn't be much of a learning processos if there was something that i could to do it myself.

Getting back to the drive, i think i'm juust going to jump to reformate it as i have borrowed a XP book from my school on many things about XP and want to try and figure it out. But is there any other way?
thanx
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
aaaahhhhh can't use disk management, anyother ways of removing EVERYTHING on my flash drive?
thanx
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I was going to say reformatting is probably a good option if you dont need the data, i would maybe try dban on it see if that bad boy can wipe it. If dban cant reformat it you are naffed.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
double post

Edited by james_8970, 30 May 2006 - 06:10 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
woops never mind
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 May 2006 - 06:08 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
the way they say it, is that they remove all files on all drives on the computer.
Is this true or do they give you a choice on which one to remove.
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 May 2006 - 06:10 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should just be able to right click on the drive when using windows explorer (or my computer...same thing) and choose format to format the thing.... does the drive itself have any kind of lock on it? i've got a kanguru drive that has a little slider switch on the side to lock it...it's not supposed to make the drive useless...just to where you can't write to it or delete from it....but any time i've had it locked...it shows up as inaccessable

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
nope there is no lock, i have already tried the formate thing, but its a no go i just get an error saying
please enter drive in E:/

Edit: hhhhmmmmm, i know its not fried as it just went through (when the autoplay was running) however it told me that windows was unable to do it.
thanx
James

P.S. do you think there is any point in trying to remove the files in safe mode, or does safe mode even affect a flash drive? just curious.

Edited by james_8970, 31 May 2006 - 03:08 PM.