Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

joe f

joe f

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi... How do I get Windows XP to ignore a USB-attached hard disk (firelite) or thumb disk, and not to try to boot from it or struggle with it?

I want to use it as a routine backup disk but Windows usually stops or hangs up when it is aleady attached. I want to have it attached all the time so i do not have to plug it and out in every time. thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Right click the device and select Properties. Select Autoplay tab, then choice content type from menu. Check the Action box and select Take no action. OK out and see if this works for you.

Ron

joe f

joe f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks. It works so far. JF

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks for posting back on this. Usually, when I attach my USB devices I get the window Action box to select from. Glad problem is solved.

Ron