Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mobo/pc temp

• Please log in to reply

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hey guys i just got simple 2 questions... 1, im trying to find out what motherboard I have (mfgr. etc) & 2, free utility to find out my PC temp any help is appreciated

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jmoney3457...

Download, install, and run Everest Home Edition. You'll find all the information you want by running a report. The temperatures will be listed in the "Sensor" section.

wannabe1

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hi wan.. thx 4 quick response.. everything worked perfect..thank you! just 1 minor issue..under sensor its only listing 1 HD/temp but I have 2(two) HD...how can i get it to read and report on both Hard drives ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your motherboard may not have sensors to monitor two HDD's. You might try SpeedFan (link in my signature...download link in second paragraph). If there is a sensor for the second HDD, SpeedFan should be able to attach to it.

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
ahhh, good utility wan.. just 1 other thing lol its detected both HD & everything and reporting the temp on HD 1 but not HD 0 & it says SMART is enabled on both drives so shouldnt it be able to detect both HD temps? lol :whistling:

Edited by jmoney3457, 30 May 2006 - 09:32 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
smart is not part of harddrive temperature monitoring. I would say that the harddrive itself may not support conventional harddrive temperature monitoring

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hmm thats weird tho cuz there both maxtor.. 1 came stock other I put in later on..but since 1 of them can detect temp shouldnt the other be able 2 since there both maxtor?or could it be my MB only allows temp monitoring for just 1 HD?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have never seen tempreature readings of two disks displayed at the same time in any program, be it BIOS, SpeedFan or Everest. I think (not sure) that all these programs are ment to sense temperature only of the active disk, the one with the operating system on it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have never seen tempreature readings of two disks displayed at the same time in any program, be it BIOS, SpeedFan or Everest. I think (not sure) that all these programs are ment to sense temperature only of the active disk, the one with the operating system on it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmm, don't know about Everst or not...you could be right.

Try this program...you have to manually switch between first and second drive, but it does work on some systems

Attached Files

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
gerry, thx but that didnt work either..hmm it reported HD0 Ocels & HD1 40cel or whatever but still..theres no program or way to monitor more then 1 HD @ a time? :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's more likely your motherboard. Mine has four sensors...SpeedFan attaches all of them and reports the values.

Posted Image

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
yea prolly this comps like 3yr old ive upgraded some of it ram vid card etc..hmm that temp 1-3 wannabe what are those referring to? (temps of what?) & also is there setting in my bios that can force my mobo to sense both HD temp or would i hafta get a more up to date *aftermarket* mobo that supports it

Edited by jmoney3457, 30 May 2006 - 05:54 PM.

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
lol i actually thot of something this morning..when i kept saying its sensing my HD 0 temp of 0 it was Celsius and I suck @ metric but 0C=32fah. so since its @ 32F does that just mean its not running at all or still means its not sensing the temp coz it should be above 32f/0c?

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
k, i know your suppose to stick w/ orig topic but this sorta is and i didnt wanna make whole new topic on it as to avoid forum clutter but anyways.. I decided to uninstall then reinstall sp2 on here & went fine just 2 minor issues 1st is everytime i boot up the stupid sfc runs even though i havnt typed it in the run cmd its like on automatic or something is there way to disable it/stop it from running on each start up coz its quite annoying and 2nd...windows doesnt seem to want to install 2 important (recommended) updates how do i get xp to install these as they are obviously needed for security/operation puporses..heres screenshots of both issues sfc-->http://i3.tinypic.com/11b1zcg.jpg & updates error -->http://i2.tinypic.com/11b20y1.jpg